Scaldis Noel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MuddyMo

Reaction score
It's Rare Beer night at The Flying Saucer Kansas City and tonight Scaldis Noel is the feature. This is a Belgian Strong Ale that weighs in at 12 pct ABV. Remarkably smooth. It does not have any of the classic Belgian ale characteristics. Instead, there is a unique hop/aromatic malt spice flavor. On another note, I am very happy being able to post to HBT from my mobile phone with very few problems.

I made that beer a few years ago and it was one of my best. Got the recipe from Beer Captured, the ag version. Have to make it again soon.

Your recipe would look great on this thread.

I knew you guys were going to ask that as soon as I hit the 'reply' button. I checked my notes and it is from Clone Brews, not Beer Captured. Anyway, here it is.

10# maris otter
9# belgian 2-row
12 oz 60 crystal
4 oz toasted 2 row (toasted my own for about 30 min at 350)
2# clear candi sugar
2 oz Kent Goldings - bittering
1/2 oz Styrian goldings - flavor
1/2 oz Kent Goldings - aroma
Wyeast 1388 (several huge starters)
1/4 oz Kent Goldings - dry hop

Aged for a long time before drinking. Very good brew. :drunk:

How is it that this doesn't end up overly sweet like a barleywine?

Damn, my lazy ass. Two clicks away, there is the answer:

"The light color and relatively light body for a beer of this strength are the result of using pilsner malt and up to 20% white candi sugar (sucrose)."

I would add to that the temp that you mash at and the chosen yeast used for fermentation. Yeah, the candi sugar does lighten the body quite a bit too.

What a delicious beer. I normally find it in the small 330ml bottles but I recently found a 750ml bottle at a Central Market. Talk about the makings of a great hangover.

What a great beer indeed. I would almost rate this as my favorite. In fact, it is my favorite. I also thought about cloning this but it is so complex (imo) that if not done 100% I don't think it would be the same...?

Beer11.jpg

brodacious said:
For 5 Gallons?
What did you Mash at?
How many Starters?

Went with 150 (ended at about 153)
Will pitch a 1.5 liter starter with 2 smack packs after 18 hours on a stir plate...

Dredging this tread up because I found this beer on a retailer's 50% off shelf. Anyone try to brew this? The MO in the above recipe seems odd in a Belgian beer.
The packaging also indicates they are using "the famous Dubuisson house yeast", is the WY1388 close enough?
:bigmug:

Back