Scalable idea for cutting back roots at small scale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hardrain

Reaction score
Hey all, just saw a presentation of a German hop yard where they have a special machine specifically for unearthing and pruning back hop root systems.

I've been trying to come up with a good idea for trimming for 100+ plants and year five is quickly approaching, likely later than I should have

So far I've considered:

Tilling to max depth aprox 2' from the crown center of each row. I'm concerned this will damage the plant (twisting and pulling that affect the crown) and also potentially not actually do a clean trim (twisting but not cutting excess roots).

Renting some kind of large circular blade, similar to what I've seen used for road cutting, and running up and down the rows at 1-2' from crown.

Making a lot of beer and calling everyone I know who owns a shovel.

...anyone tried out another solution? I have to think there's something I'm unable to come up with that medium-sized yards are using, especially those selling cuttings?

Maybe rent a trencher? Not sure if that would tangle. Where there's a power tool, there's a way...

Tiller + Roots = :mad: That's a fast-track to Tangle City, even with a commercial Barreto tiller.

I use a long-handled spading fork around my 12 plants around 2' from the crown. I stick it as far in the ground as it will go (about 12-15") then pry it up sideways (not like you'd normally do with a shovel). That exposes the root for cutting/pruning without too much trauma and minimizes the amount of soil you have to lift. Each plant takes about 5-10 minutes and goes a lot faster when the soil is dry.

For 100 plants, geez, you might need a small crew, or break the task up over several days. I can't really comment as to how a road-cutting saw would work, but I like your style.

For 100 plants, geez, you might need a small crew, or break the task up over several days. I can't really comment as to how a road-cutting saw would work, but I like your style.

Ha thanks. My biggest concern there is that I'm just splitting the plant in two rather than actually pruning to what I want...plus no cuttings for friends.

I might try the army/spading fork idea, I can see where that would work.

I normally just dig a trench around the crown and cut back t he rhizomes with an old pair of pruners. Some of the smaller farms are making their own tractor mounted versions of something like this: http://www.rostaltd.com/_prodline/Eq_motor/Disk_hiller/DiscHiller_1.jpg The larger farms out west sometimes cultivate in both directions (all 4 sides of the crowns) leaving about a 2x2 foot square untouched.

A lot of the farmers out in the Canadian prairies plant shelter belts, strips of various types of trees, around their property lines, and especially around their house sites. By default, in order to survive the winter conditions, the plants are generally tough as nails and somewhat leaning to the invasive side of things.

One method that has been used is to use a subsoil plow to cut the roots. Any sprouts that come up outside the zone where the plow was dragged through, get the mower treatment, or plowed under, to prevent them developing further. Low tech, high volume, root pruning, to restrict the growth of traveling root systems, not unlike dealing with rhizomes.

Worried about keeping friends supplied? Leave a couple plants un-pruned, or kick them in the bum to get out and gather what they want before you do what you must.

TeeJo

Disc harrow?

A tiller isn't a good idea because it will catch the rhizome.

Latest posts

Back