South Carolina SC midlands area brewers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have shifted over to SS uni tanks with glycol chillers so I have a couple of fermenters that are not being used. If anyone is interested I'll meet you on my next trip to Cola and we can save the shipping.

30L Speidel Fermenter retail $60
60L Speidel Fermenter retail $90
NorCal rotating racking arm w/ ball valve, coupler and 1/2" barb retail $65
Thermowells in lids retail $30

Total retail $245. These are like new with only a few uses.

I think $125 for all is fair, so let me know before I list it on CL.

Hey buddy, you open to separating this out? Or all or nothing? I am interested in the 30L speidel.

Hey buddy, you open to separating this out? Or all or nothing? I am interested in the 30L speidel.

I'd like to sell as a package since I have only one NorCal racking arm assembly which can be swapped interchangeably between the two fermenters. At this price you could sell off the 60L and come out in good shape. BUT, as much as you like NE IPA's, this 60L will ferment two batches at once and you'll be good to go for a few weeks with good beer. It will fit in an upright refrigerator.

Both fermenters have airlocks, thermowells and spigots at the bottom to rack off the beer with a hose. Or use the racking arm which makes it heavy duty. Let me know.

I'd like to sell as a package since I have only one NorCal racking arm assembly which can be swapped interchangeably between the two fermenters. At this price you could sell off the 60L and come out in good shape. BUT, as much as you like NE IPA's, this 60L will ferment two batches at once and you'll be good to go for a few weeks with good beer. It will fit in an upright refrigerator.

Both fermenters have airlocks, thermowells and spigots at the bottom to rack off the beer with a hose. Or use the racking arm which makes it heavy duty. Let me know.

Speaking of...what the hell is that racking arm for?? Seriously I am at a loss. ELI5?

Speaking of...what the hell is that racking arm for?? Seriously I am at a loss. ELI5?

Well, the racking arm is an extended type of dip tube used during transfer in the bottom port of the fermenter in which the tube bends slightly at maybe a 45 degree angle. You can have it pointing up when you rack off the beer into keg (or bottling bucket) so you get clean beer and not suck up yeast trub off the cake. As the beer level drops toward the bottom, slowly rotate the arm downward until you are just off the top of the yeast cake so you'll barely be picking up clean beer and wont waste a bunch. Most bigger fermenter systems (even my brew buckets) have rotating racking arms to draw off clean beer. With my uni tank I'll also have a sight glass off the racking arm to monitor when my beer gets cloudy from drawing up yeast sediment. With the Speidel I used a clear racking tube so I could watch the beer and move the arm down until I saw cloudy coming thru.

Well, the racking arm is an extended type of dip tube used during transfer in the bottom port of the fermenter in which the tube bends slightly at maybe a 45 degree angle. You can have it pointing up when you rack off the beer into keg (or bottling bucket) so you get clean beer and not suck up yeast trub off the cake. As the beer level drops toward the bottom, slowly rotate the arm downward until you are just off the top of the yeast cake so you'll barely be picking up clean beer and wont waste a bunch. Most bigger fermenter systems (even my brew buckets) have rotating racking arms to draw off clean beer. With my uni tank I'll also have a sight glass off the racking arm to monitor when my beer gets cloudy from drawing up yeast sediment. With the Speidel I used a clear racking tube so I could watch the beer and move the arm down until I saw cloudy coming thru.

Next time you come this way I'll show you how it works.

Ahh ok that makes sense. So it fits/works with the Speidels?

Ahh ok that makes sense. So it fits/works with the Speidels?

Here is a picture of what this might look like with a 3-piece ball valve and reducers to go to beer line.
IMG_0767.JPG

So the racking arm is inside the speidel, sort of like a pickup tube, for lack of a better term, right?

Yes, it is a fancy pickup tube that is slightly bent allowing you to position the tube close to the yeast cake w/o drawing it up into the keg or bottling system or secondary.

The arm is inside the Speidel and cant be seen in the above attached pictures. A flimsy spigot is sold with the fermenter so this arm/valve assembly is a major improvement.

Anyone got any experience brewing porters and/or using smoked malts? I need some assistance with a porter grist I'm designing. Here's what I have as of right now...

11# 2-Row
1.5# Rolled/Flaked Oats
0.5# Oven Toasted Oats
0.5# Coffee Malt
0.75# (12 oz.) Chocolate malt
0.375# (6 oz.) Carafa III
0.375# (6 oz.) Roasted Barley

(1) I want to sub in some smoked malt. I'm looking at using Briess cherrywood smoke malt because I've read it has some bacon flavors/aroma and that's what I'm after. Where would you suggest I sub in the smoked malt? Sub out a portion of the 2-row for smoked, or somewhere else?

(2) I'm considering dropping the roasted barley and the carafa III. I've never used carafa III so I don't know what I would be losing/gaining by dropping it. Also, I'm considering dropping the roasted barley because I think I'll have enough roastiness from the toasted oats (and smoked malt if I sub that in) and I don't want it overly roasty, I find overly roasty leads to acrid IMO.

(3) Any other thoughts, advice, criticism? This will ultimately be a chocolate/coffee breakfast porter, if that matters.

I am planning a stout with bacon myself. All I researched led me away from actual bacon and to use smoked malts which have none of the issues with fat killing the head. I was planning to smoke some malts on my pellet grill but it may be easier just to buy some that are done professionally. I would sub a portion of the 2 row with smoked malts which should be about the same diastatic index.

Personal opinion, I'd go just with the coffee and chocolate malts to keep things a bit more controlled. You are going to have quite a lot going including the smoked malts, and streamlining the dark malts (plus toasted oats) to two choices may give you a better handle on what is what when you review your final beer. It is quite possible you may begin to develop an acid bitterness from all the roasts if not careful. Just my 2 cents worth.

I am planning a stout with bacon myself. All I researched led me away from actual bacon and to use smoked malts which have none of the issues with fat killing the head. I was planning to smoke some malts on my pellet grill but it may be easier just to buy some that are done professionally. I would sub a portion of the 2 row with smoked malts which should be about the same diastatic index.

Personal opinion, I'd go just with the coffee and chocolate malts to keep things a bit more controlled. You are going to have quite a lot going including the smoked malts, and streamlining the dark malts (plus toasted oats) to two choices may give you a better handle on what is what when you review your final beer. It is quite possible you may begin to develop an acid bitterness from all the roasts if not careful. Just my 2 cents worth.
Hey old buddy, your 2 cents is worth 200 cents to me!

I totally agree on the bacon. I wanted bacon flavor but didn't feel like murdering the head on the beer. So I just said screw it. I also considered smoking my own malt. But, since I've never smoked malt before, I decided I'd leave it to the pros at least for this beer.

I've also decided to outright drop the roasted barley. Also considering going with Carafa Special III (instead of just Carafa III) since I've read the regular C-III is pretty dark and roasty whereas the special III just gives color and a little aroma.

Alas, my updated grist...

8.5# 2-Row (57%)
2.5# Cherrywood Smoked Malt (17%)
1.5# Rolled Oats (10%)
1# Chocolate (7%)
0.5# Toasted Oats (3%)
0.5# Coffee Malt (3%)
0.5# Carafa Special III (3%)

Now, you wanna get weird with me for a second?? I'm also going to toss in a little (like 4 oz.) cocoa powder in the final minutes of the boil. Also adding cacao nibs and vanilla beans in primary, and about 4 oz. whole bean coffee the last few days before kegging. Sure, that's not too weird. But I'm going to take it a step further and add some maple syrup in primary(!!!)

I know what you're thinking. The syrup is going to ferment right the hell out and essentially add nothing to the beer but a fairly significant bump in ABV. So I'm going to add it later in the fermenter. My thinking is that if I add it later in primary, when krausen starts to drop, it'll ferment out the bulk of the sugars, but leave some maple flavor/aroma to carry through to the finished beer. That's my thought at least. I don't want to wait until fermentation is done because I worry it wouldn't ferment out enough of the sugars and it would leave the beer too cloyingly sweet.

What are your thoughts on this? As someone who likes to think outside the box and push his limits, I figured you might have some insight on my plan. Am I an idiot??

View attachment 408784

Found this little guy chomping on some hops this morning. I've been seeing babies but I finally found the adult

I've had issues with the biggest grasshoppers I've ever seen eating all my leaves. Seriously, grasshoppers the size of my index finger and thicker than my thumb. Ravaging my hops. But this heat has given me trouble keeping them watered enough too. They're having a rough first year.

I've had issues with the biggest grasshoppers I've ever seen eating all my leaves. Seriously, grasshoppers the size of my index finger and thicker than my thumb. Ravaging my hops. But this heat has given me trouble keeping them watered enough too. They're having a rough first year.
Heard that. My potted basil plant is drinking almost a gallon a day in direct sunlight.

Aaaaandd I'm back. Lol Sorry guys, I didn't get lost! hahahaha! So much to get done around here and then it's back to my wines. *Sigh* life......

~Alli

Hey guys! Out here at the Fireflies vs Green jackets game in Columbia. Having the Luminescent Lager (brewed by River Rat for the team)... Really crisp and flavorful!

Fireflies are down in the top of the 5th 4-2.

Hey old buddy, your 2 cents is worth 200 cents to me!

I totally agree on the bacon. I wanted bacon flavor but didn't feel like murdering the head on the beer. So I just said screw it. I also considered smoking my own malt. But, since I've never smoked malt before, I decided I'd leave it to the pros at least for this beer.

I've also decided to outright drop the roasted barley. Also considering going with Carafa Special III (instead of just Carafa III) since I've read the regular C-III is pretty dark and roasty whereas the special III just gives color and a little aroma.

Alas, my updated grist...

8.5# 2-Row (57%)
2.5# Cherrywood Smoked Malt (17%)
1.5# Rolled Oats (10%)
1# Chocolate (7%)
0.5# Toasted Oats (3%)
0.5# Coffee Malt (3%)
0.5# Carafa Special III (3%)

Now, you wanna get weird with me for a second?? I'm also going to toss in a little (like 4 oz.) cocoa powder in the final minutes of the boil. Also adding cacao nibs and vanilla beans in primary, and about 4 oz. whole bean coffee the last few days before kegging. Sure, that's not too weird. But I'm going to take it a step further and add some maple syrup in primary(!!!)

I know what you're thinking. The syrup is going to ferment right the hell out and essentially add nothing to the beer but a fairly significant bump in ABV. So I'm going to add it later in the fermenter. My thinking is that if I add it later in primary, when krausen starts to drop, it'll ferment out the bulk of the sugars, but leave some maple flavor/aroma to carry through to the finished beer. That's my thought at least. I don't want to wait until fermentation is done because I worry it wouldn't ferment out enough of the sugars and it would leave the beer too cloyingly sweet.

What are your thoughts on this? As someone who likes to think outside the box and push his limits, I figured you might have some insight on my plan. Am I an idiot??

It takes experimentation to discover beers outside the box. While there may be several ways to do each step, some work better than others.

Bacon flavor can be imparted with smoked malts.....you got it!

Cacao nibs....lightly roast in oven until you smell them become aromatic, this makes the flavors POP.

Even though your grain bill looks complicated your beer will be complicated as well as it should be. Try it and take good notes. The Special III is likely a better choice as you mentioned.

The maple syrup can quickly become problematic since the yeast can basically eat it up and leave you with virtually nothing (inc flavors gone) so this is a tough one. One commercial brewery uses high quality maple extracts in very judicious amounts. I think Silver Cloud Estates is where most food companies and brewers source premium extracts that are natural flavors. I know you probably want to stay with actual syrup as most good brewers would, but I am afraid you'll end up with no flavors....or something that is too sweet if the yeast doesn't get to it. I looked at Silver Cloud Estates and will go this route when I make one.

BTW...I had an Oyster Stout Beer in AVL (last nite) that is likely the best beer I've had here. Oyster Brewing Company on Haywood. Funka is going is going well and our lovely Black Angel is heavenly at Funka. I picked the brewers brain at Oyster Brewing and definitely going to make an oyster stout to barrel age in oak. This is a dry stout so I got to select the best yeast to attenuate down to maybe 1.012 or close. WOW, what a beer.

So far with two days to go:

New Belgium
Twin Leaf
Funka
Oyster Brewing
Bhramari
Hi-Wire
Burial

It takes experimentation to discover beers outside the box. While there may be several ways to do each step, some work better than others.

Bacon flavor can be imparted with smoked malts.....you got it!

Cacao nibs....lightly roast in oven until you smell them become aromatic, this makes the flavors POP.

Even though your grain bill looks complicated your beer will be complicated as well as it should be. Try it and take good notes. The Special III is likely a better choice as you mentioned.

The maple syrup can quickly become problematic since the yeast can basically eat it up and leave you with virtually nothing (inc flavors gone) so this is a tough one. One commercial brewery uses high quality maple extracts in very judicious amounts. I think Silver Cloud Estates is where most food companies and brewers source premium extracts that are natural flavors. I know you probably want to stay with actual syrup as most good brewers would, but I am afraid you'll end up with no flavors....or something that is too sweet if the yeast doesn't get to it. I looked at Silver Cloud Estates and will go this route when I make one.

BTW...I had an Oyster Stout Beer in AVL (last nite) that is likely the best beer I've had here. Oyster Brewing Company on Haywood. Funka is going is going well and our lovely Black Angel is heavenly at Funka. I picked the brewers brain at Oyster Brewing and definitely going to make an oyster stout to barrel age in oak. This is a dry stout so I got to select the best yeast to attenuate down to maybe 1.012 or close. WOW, what a beer.

So far with two days to go:

New Belgium
Twin Leaf
Funka
Oyster Brewing
Bhramari
Hi-Wire
Burial

See, that's why I like you, Morrey. Instead of saying, "nah don't do it it ain't worth it, it's going to suck," you tell me to let it ride and take good notes! I dig that.

As far as your oyster stout goes, have you used WLP004 (Irish Ale) before? I used that in my stout (the one you got) and it went from 1.072 to 1.014. So that might be an option.

Leave some beer for us! We'll be up there next weekend. How's Burial's tap list right now? I love that place. But it's usually a hop-forward tap list, or a farmhouse/stout-forward list.

See, that's why I like you, Morrey. Instead of saying, "nah don't do it it ain't worth it, it's going to suck," you tell me to let it ride and take good notes! I dig that.

As far as your oyster stout goes, have you used WLP004 (Irish Ale) before? I used that in my stout (the one you got) and it went from 1.072 to 1.014. So that might be an option.

Leave some beer for us! We'll be up there next weekend. How's Burial's tap list right now? I love that place. But it's usually a hop-forward tap list, or a farmhouse/stout-forward list.

For sure any beer is worth trying.....the real decision is if you'll make it a second time.

Good suggestion for the stout yeast. I just sent Kevin an email asking if he'd order a pack for me. If I start at 1.60 ish I'd predict 1.012 which is consistent with your attenuation. Good advice.

Burial had a couple of Farmhouse ales inc a Carrot/Cracked Black Pepper with Ginger Saison. That's a mouthful of wording but the beer was quite drinkable. I also had a hoppy Kolsch that gave me ideas to increase the hop level in my Kolsch beers...they use Amarillo in the boil and in dry hop. Tasty. Everyplace here is putting their own unique spin on recipes to create an interest in their product.

What time are y'all going to make it to DIY this Saturday?

I am usually there by 11-11:30am. Gonna bring my latest Saison, cream ale and a couple of pale ale. All came out very tasty! Also going to bring the lowest abv beer my brother and I have ever brewed... 3%.

Sorry I wasn't able to get back to y'all sooner. We have had one crazy thing happen after another the last few days.
First my laptop (which is the love of my life after my husband, kids and grands) was acting up tossing me an error code and the dreaded blue screen of death (this is my actual first test).
Then we found out we are going to be grandparents again. (My) oldest biological son is going to move in at the end of the month (if you know of any welding jobs in the area, PLEASE let me know).
And lastly, sadly, this evening, one of our sweet stray kitties that had become one of our "porch kitties" and my kids had fallen in love with this last week or so, found its way inside my husbands truck engine compartment as he was getting ready to run an errand and well..... We had to take her to Cola and have her put down as her injuries were pretty terrible and it was just the right thing to do. My husband is horrified he hurt a sweet creature and one our kids adored. And of course our kids, mostly my teen daughter, is a wreck over it as it was her favorite. *sigh* Could I just get a break here?! I need a drink y'all!! :tank::mug:

I think we had discussed 10 am. Is that still a good time or do we need to change it? I am up for whatever. And hey, if I don't get a message back to you guys by the end of the night next time, send me a text! That's why I have you my number!! LOL

~Alli

I am usually there by 11-11:30am. Gonna bring my latest Saison, cream ale and a couple of pale ale. All came out very tasty! Also going to bring the lowest abv beer my brother and I have ever brewed... 3%.

I will bring a Cali Commons from your recipe in which I deviated slightly by subbing in CO2 bittering extract at 60. Mongoose33 says my beer has a slightly more rounded profile against his (also your recipe) which is a bit sharper with the hop profile. I'd like your opinion.

I also have an ultra low 2.5% with rye, wheat and nelson Sauvin. I need to set out 2 sachets of Belle Saison yeast so I won't forget to bring you.

Sorry I wasn't able to get back to y'all sooner. We have had one crazy thing happen after another the last few days.
First my laptop (which is the love of my life after my husband, kids and grands) was acting up tossing me an error code and the dreaded blue screen of death (this is my actual first test).
Then we found out we are going to be grandparents again. (My) oldest biological son is going to move in at the end of the month (if you know of any welding jobs in the area, PLEASE let me know).
And lastly, sadly, this evening, one of our sweet stray kitties that had become one of our "porch kitties" and my kids had fallen in love with this last week or so, found its way inside my husbands truck engine compartment as he was getting ready to run an errand and well..... We had to take her to Cola and have her put down as her injuries were pretty terrible and it was just the right thing to do. My husband is horrified he hurt a sweet creature and one our kids adored. And of course our kids, mostly my teen daughter, is a wreck over it as it was her favorite. *sigh* Could I just get a break here?! I need a drink y'all!! :tank::mug:

I think we had discussed 10 am. Is that still a good time or do we need to change it? I am up for whatever. And hey, if I don't get a message back to you guys by the end of the night next time, send me a text! That's why I have you my number!! LOL

~Alli

I'd say you were busy, Alli! And sorry you lost a kitten...I have 8 cats at my farm to "patrol" the area and they are great at their job! They walk the rafters and ward off pigeons and birds that would otherwise roost up high and "decorate" the tractors and equipment under cover.

Catdaddy66 says he will be there around 11a so if that works, I'll leave Darlington in time to be there by 11. See y'all then!!

I will bring a Cali Commons from your recipe in which I deviated slightly by subbing in CO2 bittering extract at 60. Mongoose33 says my beer has a slightly more rounded profile against his (also your recipe) which is a bit sharper with the hop profile. I'd like your opinion.

I also have an ultra low 2.5% with rye, wheat and nelson Sauvin. I need to set out 2 sachets of Belle Saison yeast so I won't forget to bring you.

I'd say you were busy, Alli! And sorry you lost a kitten...I have 8 cats at my farm to "patrol" the area and they are great at their job! They walk the rafters and ward off pigeons and birds that would otherwise roost up high and "decorate" the tractors and equipment under cover.

Catdaddy66 says he will be there around 11a so if that works, I'll leave Darlington in time to be there by 11. See y'all then!!

Hey guys! I'm new to the thread and won't be able to make the meetup at DIY. Never knew it was there so will definitely check it out on my next trip to Columbia. I see you say you're leaving Darlington...do you live there Morrey? I live in Florence.

Hey guys! I'm new to the thread and won't be able to make the meetup at DIY. Never knew it was there so will definitely check it out on my next trip to Columbia. I see you say you're leaving Darlington...do you live there Morrey? I live in Florence.
Excellent! Yes I live in Darlington. When the fellows at Seminar reopen in the old Young's Pecan building on Lucas (Hwy 52), we should plan to meet and sample some of their new beers. They employed a new brewer to craft new beers and shake things up a bit.

DIY is a home brew store behind Thunder Tower off I-20 near Columbia on Two Notch. Probably the closest decent supply store to us.

Excellent! Yes I live in Darlington. When the fellows at Seminar reopen in the old Young's Pecan building on Lucas (Hwy 52), we should plan to meet and sample some of their new beers. They employed a new brewer to craft new beers and shake things up a bit.

DIY is a home brew store behind Thunder Tower off I-20 near Columbia on Two Notch. Probably the closest decent supply store to us.

Nice! Yeah, we'll def have to meet up. Whereabouts in D-town do you live? (you can send via PM if you like LOL). Have you checked out LocalMotive yet? Pretty good beers, been there about 5 times already lol. I've never actually brewed my own beer yet, still doing researching and getting money together to buy some stuff.

Nice! Yeah, we'll def have to meet up. Whereabouts in D-town do you live? (you can send via PM if you like LOL). Have you checked out LocalMotive yet? Pretty good beers, been there about 5 times already lol. I've never actually brewed my own beer yet, still doing researching and getting money together to buy some stuff.

In the Darlington Country Club. I have heard about LocalMotive but yet to visit. May be a destination for sure.

The owner (Kevin) at DIY in Elgin will help new brewers select the proper equipment and ingredients. He is a great guy to get you started and will even help you brew your first beer.

Many new folks try powdered malts called extracts to get the process figured out. Following that, many shift to all grain brewing which allows flexibility in your recipes and process. Take a look at BIAB (brew in a bag) that has a sticky here on that BIAB sub-forum.

All of us on this midlands thread are close enough geographically that we can help new brewers get started.

I hit up Local Motive right after they opened when I was in Lake City visiting my folks. Pretty solid. I was most impressed with their gose. Not too briny. Nice and lactic.

I hit up Local Motive right after they opened when I was in Lake City visiting my folks. Pretty solid. I was most impressed with their gose. Not too briny. Nice and lactic.

Ahh nice! Yeah, their Gose is pretty dang good. Their DIPA is pretty solid as well. They are releasing a Mexican Lager style and n unfiltered American Wheat beer today.

In the Darlington Country Club. I have heard about LocalMotive but yet to visit. May be a destination for sure.

The owner (Kevin) at DIY in Elgin will help new brewers select the proper equipment and ingredients. He is a great guy to get you started and will even help you brew your first beer.

Many new folks try powdered malts called extracts to get the process figured out. Following that, many shift to all grain brewing which allows flexibility in your recipes and process. Take a look at BIAB (brew in a bag) that has a sticky here on that BIAB sub-forum.

All of us on this midlands thread are close enough geographically that we can help new brewers get started.

Oh nice, ive got some friends that live in the Oakdale subdivision right down the road from the country club. Got a co-worker that lives on the back side of the race track and has for all his life.

Yeah, i'm planning on jumping straight into small-ish (thinking 2.5g to 3g) BIAB batches to get the process down and get the styles i want dialed in before moving to larger batches. I do know I want to start right in with kegging as well.

Yeah, i'm planning on jumping straight into small-ish (thinking 2.5g to 3g) BIAB batches to get the process down and get the styles i want dialed in before moving to larger batches. I do know I want to start right in with kegging as well.
You've got a helluva resource nearby with Morrey being in your backyard. I'd love to have that dude as a neighbor. He'll give you some great advice (and good beer too)!

Kevin has two lager yeasts for me to pick up on Saturday. One is Mexican 940 and the other is Papazian's 952 Cry Havoc. My goal is to craft an 11 G batch and split into two 5.5 G batches and ferment in separate tanks with the two yeasts to compare. I have not found a lager yeast I was super fond of, so Kevin and I came up with this Exbeeriment to side by side compare. (Recent mention of a Mexican Lager caused this tangent)

So I need to come up with a base recipe that will be nicely quaffable. I was thinking something with a bit of color such as a portion of Vienna malts? Hops...not sure, need suggestions. Maybe a bit of flaked Maize for mouthfeel. Anyone got a favorite recipe along the lines of what I am describing? Thanks!!

I may try them tomorrow eve while Pam is doing her Yoga class.....beer sounds better than Yoga...LOL.

Good they have a Gose so will look forward to that one. Did you happen to notice if they had bar food or some type of small plate offerings?

You've got a helluva resource nearby with Morrey being in your backyard. I'd love to have that dude as a neighbor. He'll give you some great advice (and good beer too)!

Yeah, sounds like he's a great help around here! Glad i stumbled on the SC thread for sure!

Kevin has two lager yeasts for me to pick up on Saturday. One is Mexican 940 and the other is Papazian's 952 Cry Havoc. My goal is to craft an 11 G batch and split into two 5.5 G batches and ferment in separate tanks with the two yeasts to compare. I have not found a lager yeast I was super fond of, so Kevin and I came up with this Exbeeriment to side by side compare. (Recent mention of a Mexican Lager caused this tangent)

So I need to come up with a base recipe that will be nicely quaffable. I was thinking something with a bit of color such as a portion of Vienna malts? Hops...not sure, need suggestions. Maybe a bit of flaked Maize for mouthfeel. Anyone got a favorite recipe along the lines of what I am describing? Thanks!!

Sadly I'm too new to be able to really help with this question. Maybe sometime we can get together and I can watch you work your magic since i've only ever seen a brew done once.

I may try them tomorrow eve while Pam is doing her Yoga class.....beer sounds better than Yoga...LOL.

Good they have a Gose so will look forward to that one. Did you happen to notice if they had bar food or some type of small plate offerings?

Yeah man, they had a full kitchen menu, IIRC. There were a few people eating lunch in there. Check it out.

Also interesting: they have "syrups" (but they weren't sweet that I could tell) that you can get a shot added to a berliner or gose. I think they had a cucumber-lime, mango-something, and one other. We did a gose with the cucumber lime and a berliner with the mango. I was pleasantly surprised.

Back