Saving time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boydo

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm after some advice and was not sure where to start this thread. I have been brewing with beer kits for on/off 3 years so I consider myself still pretty new to this.

As I said I have been brewing with kits and am now at a point where I want to start beefing up my brews. I hope to achieve this by adding additional hops by dry hopping/hopped tea method and/or I also want start steeping grain to add to my beer kit.

I want to try get brew on this weekend and want to know if doing this is a good start.
Or do you guys recommend doing one or the other. I have about 3 types of grain and hops so if I was to do both I would need to think about what grains and hop to use to get some good flavour on my brew.

Also, to save time does anyone see an issue or have concerns around doing the hopped tea the night before. I am just thinking about how I can save time when I come to do my brew the next day especially if I'm steeping grain.

Lastly, can anyone recommend a rough quide for doing steeping grain, dry hopping and hopped tea method.
I mean in terms of heat, water amounts, times and any big no no's to be aware of.

That's all for now. Apologies for the long winded message. Any advice would be appreciated. Happy brewing.

Cheers
Boydo

Have you done any of the steeped grains kits? I know Brewers Best Oatmeal Stout and Mango Saison are both grain steeping kits. If it were me, I'd try to incorporate each one of those processes individually, on different brews, to get the hang of them. Then try one with all of the above if it's necessary to get the flavor you desire. Just my two cents.

Have you done any of the steeped grains kits? I know Brewers Best Oatmeal Stout and Mango Saison are both grain steeping kits. If it were me, I'd try to incorporate each one of those processes individually, on different brews, to get the hang of them. Then try one with all of the above if it's necessary to get the flavor you desire. Just my two cents.
Hi mate, thanks for the response. To answer your question, no I don't think I have.
So what is the difference between a normal beer kit and a steeped grain kit?
I am in New Zealand so will need to find out from my brew shop supplier if they do those kits.

Again, thanks for the help.

Boydo

Hi mate, thanks for the response. To answer your question, no I don't think I have.
So what is the difference between a normal beer kit and a steeped grain kit?
I am in New Zealand so will need to find out from my brew shop supplier if they do those kits.

Again, thanks for the help.

Boydo

If I've understood you correctly, you've been using just extracts, correct? Many extract kits come with steeping grains. The steeping grains are normally specialty grains that help to add flavor, color, and body to your beer that you generally can't get with just using extracts. It's a super simple process. You basically just add 1.5 to 2 gallons of water to your kettle, heat the water up to around 165F, and then add your steeping grains (most kits come with a muslin bag to put them in). You'll let this sit for about 30 minutes, trying to keep a constant temperature. Make sure you do not get above 170F, as you'll begin to extract tannins. At the end of the 30 minutes, pull your bag out, letting whatever liquid in the bag to drain out, and you're done with that part.

Having said that, the main goal of using steeping grains is to make a better body for your beer. It won't really increase the ABV in your brew, because it's not the same as mashing where you're converting starches into fermantable surgers. The main benefit you'll be getting is adding a better body to your beer from the protein that is extracted from the steeping grains.

Hope that helps.

What kind of beer are you looking to brew?

Do you have specific hops/grains on hand that you are hoping to use?

I wouldn't try to develop your own recipe. Try to find an existing recipe that will utilize some of the things you want to do.

Should be easy to find a recipe that utilizes steeped grains.

Hi, that does help thank you.

I have been using standard pre-hopped kits with no requirement for steeping of grains or additional work. Mix it all together in the fermenter and pitch the yeast type brewing

What kind of beer are you looking to brew?

Do you have specific hops/grains on hand that you are hoping to use?

I wouldn't try to develop your own recipe. Try to find an existing recipe that will utilize some of the things you want to do.

Should be easy to find a recipe that utilizes steeped grains.
Hi there,

I have some Gladfield light crystal Grain, Breiss special roast and Caraamber malt.

The three types of hops I have are Cascade cone hops, Chinook pelleted hops and Fuggle pelleted hops.

So I'm not sure. Was just going to experiment but as you say, perhaps an existing recipe is best. I got 2 kits also, a William Warn Blonde Ale and a Coopers Real Ale. Also have some Maltodextrin on hand and a pouch of Mangrove Jacks Pure Malt Enhancer to use in place of dextrose.

Any suggestions?

What's the recipe for the Blonde Ale?

You might be able to add to that recipe with what you have and do a little experimenting.

What's the recipe for the Blonde Ale?

You might be able to add to that recipe with what you have and do a little experimenting.
Here is the description from the Willian Warn website:

A refreshing, easy-drinking Blonde Ale with a crisp palate.
Our Blonde Ale is yellow in appearance with a moderate bitterness. It sits in the Hybrid category of the BJCP Style Guidelines and is an ale version of a lager beer. It therefore ferments warm (23°C/73°F) with great efficiency with our ale yeast, but with the resulting taste profile being similar to that of a light lager.
The yeast under the lid is an 11g pack of Nottingham ale yeast.
Original Gravity of 1.045 (11.25°P), fermented to a Final Gravity of about 1.011 (2.75°P), resulting in 4.5% alcohol by volume, 18 Bitterness Units and 3.5 SRM/7 EBC colour.

Back