Saving Priming Sugar?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cyfan964

Reaction score
I, like an incompetent idiot, started my priming sugar before checking my FG. I started my priming sugar in about 1 1/2 of water got it boiled and everything and then checked my FG only to see that it was at 1.020... I'm shooting for 1.012 ish. Should I dump out this priming solution and start over, or can I refrigerate it and then reheat to a boil later? I sloshed the wort around a bit and got my airlock going again it will hopefully be good to go in a day or two.

You can refrigerate it if you like. It's just a simple syrup probably every restaurant in the country has some sitting in their fridge.

FYI it's not really necessary to use "priming" or corn sugar to prime bottles. Cane works just fine.

Thanks for the help! I realize priming sugar is cheap, but I live nowhere near a HB store and I am out. I figured I could save it since it's just sugar water.

You can refrigerate it if you like. It's just a simple syrup probably every restaurant in the country has some sitting in their fridge.

FYI it's not really necessary to use "priming" or corn sugar to prime bottles. Cane works just fine.

That I did not know. How much cane sugar should I use for a 5 gallon batch? And for clarification you are talking about simple white table sugar?

Yes typically you'd use a little less cane sugar to prime than you would corn sugar. And yes, I mean just table sugar. I haven't bought any corn sugar for brewing since the last kit I got a year or so ago.

Back