$$ saving idea - what do you think?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ericwatkins_utk

Reaction score
Just thinking about a cost savings idea today on yeast. I'd like to get some opinions. Here is what I'm thinking.

I would like to try taking a smack pack or dry pack and divide it two or three times and make stir plate starters from each division. Then decant, and possibily repeat the divisions with the ultimate goal of using one smack pack to make 3 or 4 generations or healty, high cell count, usable yeast batches for brewing 5 gallons each. I believe you can decant each finished stirter and use washing techniques to refrigerate and store.

Do you guys think its worth the trouble? Do you think the cell counts per division would grow enough to pitch in 5 gallons? Another other ideas or concerns?

I've read lots of washing posts but haven't recalled any that use starters to propagate multiple batches. I think im gonna give it a try. Glad to hear others are doing this. Any cautions or tips from experience?

sanitize, sanitize, sanitize...keep the starter around 1.030 too

to ride the coattails of this thread...
supposing i dont have direct access to a homebrew shop, is it imperative that i use a malt extract as a starter or could something else be used effectively?

to ride the coattails of this thread...
supposing i dont have direct access to a homebrew shop, is it imperative that i use a malt extract as a starter or could something else be used effectively?
Quoted from Mrmalty.com

"Use an all malt wort for starters. The sugar in the starter needs to be maltose, not simple sugar. Yeast that have been eating a lot of simple sugars stop making the enzyme that enable it to break down maltose, which is the main sugar in wort. The yeast quickly learn to be lazy and the ability to fully attenuate a batch of beer suffers."

Fourteen Essential Questions About Yeast Starters

Back