Saving a thin batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chemnitz

Reaction score
So, I made a batch of amber multi-grain ale, and I ended up with more water than I anticipated. It has now been in the fermenter for 10 days, and I took a hydrometer sample today. It has a nice, complex flavor, but I'm worried that it tastes a little thin and bit watery in the finish. The original gravity was 1.040 (meant to 1.044), and it currently sits at 1.009. I don't expect it to go any lower. So, what should I do?:

1. Leave it be. Will it be alright once it's appropriately aged?

2. Add a few ounces of maltodextrin. Should I add it ASAP? At bottling time? How much?

3. Something else.

Thanks.

Either 1 or 2 is good. Green, uncarbonated beer tastes thin and watery so if you do nothing it should turn out fine. OTOH, adding 4 ounces of maltodextrin when you boil up your priming sugar won't hurt anything either.

+1 on #2. I added 8 oz of MD to a GF Pale, which fermented 1.051 -> 1.008. Helped a bunch.

I've got the same problem with a pale ale... hopefully 8oz will do the trick. It's mighty tasty otherwise, but it has no body.

I decided to just let it be. I have a tendency to fiddle with things, and I would hate my meddling to screw up a good batch. I bottled it today, and I'll let you know how it tastes in a few weeks.

This beer has been in the bottles for a few weeks now, and I'm happy to say that it turned out alright. I didn't add anything to it, and that's okay. The mouthfeel is a bit thin, but it is still in the acceptable range. Maybe next time I'll add maltodextrin, but it certainly wasn't necessary.

Thanks all!

Latest posts

Back