Sauer Kraut

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ya need a big old crock, a plate and a rock.

That's what I know....my dad used to do this-all german that side, and I've got the crock. It's one of them 1880's 1 1/2" thick walled ceramic kinda thing 10 gallon jobs...but I have no clue on what you do, except, it's gonna stink.... :confused:

Have you googled homemade saurkraut?

Making kraut is extremely easy.

Cut your cabbage heads up into quarters. Either use a food processor or an old-fashioned kraut cutter (check out antique stores, they are very common and plentiful) to shred the cabbage into very finely shredded form.

For every four- to five-cup quantity of shredded cabbage, mix in about 1/4 to 1/2 cup of kosher salt. (You may want to play with this ratio. Too salty a kraut will make you extremely thirsty after eating it. That's what beer is for.)

Place the mixture into the bottom of a ceramic crock, or a plastic bucket suitable for brewing. Pack down firmly. I use a pint canning jar to depress it.

When you have the crock filled, place a dinner plate face down on the top surface, and weigh it down with a gallon jug filled with water or sand.

Cover the entire crock and jug with a garbage bag, and find a large rubber band to hold the bag in place. Set crock in a fairly constant temperature of about 70F.

After about 3 weeks, you may want to check the condition of the kraut.

The top will definitely be spoiled/rotten and very smelly.

Carefully dip the rotten stuff off, and dip out the good stuff in layers. I usually put it into quart jars, cap it and throw it into the fridge.

Enjoy!

Jim Karr said:
Making kraut is extremely easy.

Cut your cabbage heads up into quarters. Either use a food processor or an old-fashioned kraut cutter (check out antique stores, they are very common and plentiful) to shred the cabbage into very finely shredded form.

For every four- to five-cup quantity of shredded cabbage, mix in about 1/4 to 1/2 cup of kosher salt. (You may want to play with this ratio. Too salty a kraut will make you extremely thirsty after eating it. That's what beer is for.)

Place the mixture into the bottom of a ceramic crock, or a plastic bucket suitable for brewing. Pack down firmly. I use a pint canning jar to depress it.

When you have the crock filled, place a dinner plate face down on the top surface, and weigh it down with a gallon jug filled with water or sand.

Cover the entire crock and jug with a garbage bag, and find a large rubber band to hold the bag in place. Set crock in a fairly constant temperature of about 70F.

After about 3 weeks, you may want to check the condition of the kraut.

Carefully dip the rotten stuff off, and dip out the good stuff in layers. I usually put it into quart jars, cap it and throw it into the fridge.

Enjoy!

Thank you For the help. what temp do you store it at?

While it's working, keep the crock at about 70F. After it's cured and in jars, you can either can it in a hot bath, or keep the jars in the fridge.

When I asked about the Oberon, I meant DRINK one of yours. Can you PM me a bottle?:cross:

Jim Karr said:
While it's working, keep the crock at about 70F. After it's cured and in jars, you can either can it in a hot bath, or keep the jars in the fridge.

When I asked about the Oberon, I meant DRINK one of yours. Can you PM me a bottle?:cross:

lol alright, Ya man Ill share I just have to figure out a way to scan it in to the comp.lol

Jim Karr said:

Enjoy!

While this is indeed one way to make kraut, there are other methods that don't involve picking through spoiled cabbage to get to the good stuff. Pickling and kraut making can be done without waste and spoilage -- using exactly the same gear and ingredients. In this case a brine, rather than just salting, makes all the difference in the world. Check out "The Joy of Pickling"and "Making Sauerkraut and Pickled Vegetables at Home" for good background information and recipes.

Chad

<about 5 minutes into that video.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back