Saranac Prism White Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

charleshoffman455

Reaction score
I'm in love with Saranacs Prism White Ale. It boasts a two row malt and wheat malt. Citra and cascade hops. Any suggestion on an extract recipe?

I gotta say I like the goat rodeo the best out of the variety pack but the prism tasted decent too. I'm about to crack a prism open now so I will play around on brewers friend and see what I can come up with for extract. I think it is dry hopped with citra.

Well, I can't get my brewers friend to work right now but I would go bavarian wheat dme and golden light to get to an SRM of 6 (the wheat doesn't really pop that much to me anyway although its certainly there). Use citra for bittering and dry hop, and cascade at 30 and 5 or flameout. You're looking for an IBU of 42. Technically I would consider it an american wheat ale not a white ale like it says on the label.

I do think it has a tad bit too much pine for me but it is fairly good. The heart of the hops red ipa in the variety pack I don't care for at all. WAY too much pine.

Long time lurker, new poster here, not sure I should dig up old thread, nor that I'm doing this correctly but here goes...

Well, I can't get my brewers friend to work right now but I would go bavarian wheat dme and golden light to get to an SRM of 6 (the wheat doesn't really pop that much to me anyway although its certainly there). Use citra for bittering and dry hop, and cascade at 30 and 5 or flameout. You're looking for an IBU of 42....

and earlier post

It boasts a two row malt and wheat malt. Citra and cascade hops.

As a big time Prism fan I figured I'd give this a go one evening, fooled around a bit with an all-grain, using what I had I tinkered with the malt bill to target the ABV and color, then calculated the hops aiming for that juicy 42.

I do my tinkering a gallon at a time, usually all-grain, I stay small for convenience really. Here's how it went.

approx 13 oz pale wheat malt
approx 10 oz two-row
8 oz flaked wheat.

was falling short on projected ABV so scrounged around and found some leftover

3 oz maris otter
& threw a 1/4 cup of white flour in for haze.

Used 2 3/4 quarts for the mash, didn't write down anything else. Ended up with a little over a gallon after the boil

Added .18 oz citra at :60
Added .18 oz cascade at :5

Used some input from another online comment about hops at flame out, whirlpool etc. they were talking about Prism and suggested that. So I did

another .18 citra at flame out
another .18 cascade a minute or two later, stirred it around and let it sit for a half hour.

Then cooled my little gallon bucket in a sink of cold water, and pitched my collection of Foley Brothers yeast in the mid 70s. (It was like 3-4 bombers worth that I fed some DME)

Chugged away nicely in the little primary bucket for 9 days

Moved to a glass gallon jug and, not finding any cascade, tossed in

.18 centennial

for dry hopping. After 12 days I remembered it was there and bottled with a scant teaspoon of table sugar per bottle. Old school I guess.

So the proof of the pudding is in the tasting, which turned out to be pretty darn good! I can't say it was a Prism clone, but definitely a Prism cousin.

A couple of tasters asked if I somehow added juice to it, which was my impression the first time I tried Prism a few years ago. So yes, in a way it had the juicy taste without bitterness which Prism does so well. Visually it was pretty darn close.

Can't say it's as good as Prism but it's one of the few recipes I plan to circle back to and tinker with some more. Based on my success I'm going to ramp up production, pull out all the stops, Katy bar the door, and do TWO gallons. ;)

Long time lurker, new poster here, not sure I should dig up old thread, nor that I'm doing this correctly but here goes...

and earlier post

As a big time Prism fan I figured I'd give this a go one evening, fooled around a bit with an all-grain, using what I had I tinkered with the malt bill to target the ABV and color, then calculated the hops aiming for that juicy 42.

I do my tinkering a gallon at a time, usually all-grain, I stay small for convenience really. Here's how it went.

approx 13 oz pale wheat malt
approx 10 oz two-row
8 oz flaked wheat.

was falling short on projected ABV so scrounged around and found some leftover

3 oz maris otter
& threw a 1/4 cup of white flour in for haze.

Used 2 3/4 quarts for the mash, didn't write down anything else. Ended up with a little over a gallon after the boil

Added .18 oz citra at :60
Added .18 oz cascade at :5

Used some input from another online comment about hops at flame out, whirlpool etc. they were talking about Prism and suggested that. So I did

another .18 citra at flame out
another .18 cascade a minute or two later, stirred it around and let it sit for a half hour.

Then cooled my little gallon bucket in a sink of cold water, and pitched my collection of Foley Brothers yeast in the mid 70s. (It was like 3-4 bombers worth that I fed some DME)

Chugged away nicely in the little primary bucket for 9 days

Moved to a glass gallon jug and, not finding any cascade, tossed in

.18 centennial

for dry hopping. After 12 days I remembered it was there and bottled with a scant teaspoon of table sugar per bottle. Old school I guess.

So the proof of the pudding is in the tasting, which turned out to be pretty darn good! I can't say it was a Prism clone, but definitely a Prism cousin.

A couple of tasters asked if I somehow added juice to it, which was my impression the first time I tried Prism a few years ago. So yes, in a way it had the juicy taste without bitterness which Prism does so well. Visually it was pretty darn close.

Can't say it's as good as Prism but it's one of the few recipes I plan to circle back to and tinker with some more. Based on my success I'm going to ramp up production, pull out all the stops, Katy bar the door, and do TWO gallons. ;)

Would there be anything that you would change about your recipe? It's almost that time of year where i was once able to get this delicious beer. Can't find it anymore and I'd love to have something like it on tap at home year round! Hopefully you post back as i've not been able to find a whole lot of anything on the web and the brewery doesnt respond to email apparently lol.

Hey yes did revisit this a few months ago, did a two gallon batch. Traveling now, will post more info when I get home and get my hands on my notes. Prism!! Saranac is so skilled at mismanaging their best stuff LOL

Back