Sanke fermenter gasket ideas

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Komocabo

Reaction score
I cut the top off of my sanke fermenter because I want to use a plexiglass lid (easier to clean, can visually see fermentation, etc).

The plan is to secure the plexiglass (lid) with some clamps. I have a handle on all if this, and will update as I go.

The question I have is how do I make (or buy?) A gasket that is about 9.5" ID. I saw a video on YouTube where a guy put silicone into a tube, let it cure, Then pulled/cut it out and connected the two ends... gasket made! I am going to give it the college try, but I'm not very hopeful.

Any one else make a gasket for this purpose, or have any ideas what I can or should use?

Here's the fermenter as it is today. Cheers.

1406769095644.jpg

Ok, picked up a 1'x4' sheet of food grade rubber (can't remember what it's called) from Pacific Rubber in Eugene, OR. It was pricey ($26 for that!) BUT I can make at least 4 gaskets out of what. Picked up. Its 1/8" thick. Going to cut it to match the lid, grab some fasteners tonight and should have a finished product tonight! Will post once done, as well as parts I used. Its coming together nicely

Here's what I did tonight. Haven't taken off the plastic layer... should look as clear as glass! I'm feeling good about the progress

Edit: The "gasket" is White FDA Nitrile

1406875874629.jpg

I worked out the seal... I'll take a shot of it, in action, tonight. Basically, I took two 1"x12" bars and they fit PERFECTLY under the rim of the keg to tightly secure the lid and gasket. After seeing a few ideas online I was going to make something too complex... I have to admit, this part was dumb luck. Had I cut the hole any larger, or smaller, this would not have worked.

Brewed an IPA on Sunday so it's in The fermentation chamber happily at 18°C.

Back