Sanke Ferm + Yeast Catcher = ???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TravelingBrewer22

Reaction score
So i'm currently converting an old sanke into my primary fermenter. I can't weld and most likely won't be welding on a cone like Yuri to make it a conical. I have also seen threads around with a PVC yeast catcher to assist in removing trub from the conical. Would using a yeast catcher with an unmodified sanke work at all? Or will the lack of proper collection angle defeat the catcher before its even built? Cheers.

So i'm currently converting an old sanke into my primary fermenter. I can't weld and most likely won't be welding on a cone like Yuri to make it a conical. I have also seen threads around with a PVC yeast catcher to assist in removing trub from the conical. Would using a yeast catcher with an unmodified sanke work at all? Or will the lack of proper collection angle defeat the catcher before its even built? Cheers.

Well, the sanke does have a slight concave bottom, so SOME trub/yeast would collect in the yeast catcher, besides the stuff that would naturally settle over the collector. What size bulkhead would you use for the bottom drain/catcher? If only you could whirlpool while fermenting, then everything would be caught. :)

You pretty much need to have a certain angle to effectively dump all your yeast. I have fermented in sankes a plenty, I just rack off the yeast cake with auto-syphon as usual...

Why damage a good sankey unnecessarily?

Back