Sanitizing with B-Brite

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morkin

Reaction score
First and foremost, yes, I know that B-Brite is primarily a cleaner, not sanitizer.

But, I have ran out of Star San and have no LHBS within 50 miles of my house, so I must use what I have.

I have read on other forums that B-Brite when mixed strong enough can be an effective sanitizer if let to soak for at least 15 minutes. I value the thoughts of this forum over any other, so I thought I would ask it here. Couldn't find this question resolved in any other post.

Other than that, I have perhaps 1/2 ounce of Star San left, but that is probably not enough to sanitize my bottling bucket, racking cane and tubes, and 60 bottles. I do have bleach, but hate to use it for sanitation.

I have made roughly 8 batches, never had an infection and don't want to start, so any thoughts on B-Brite as a Sanitizer are welcome. Thanks.

A response to a web search on B brite produced a article that it costs $xxx per State to get a "sanitizer" certiicate and B Brite wasnt going to spend that much of thier profit. Do a web search on it. Also a sanitizer has to kill XX% in XX seconds and B Brite kills a little less in a few more seconds. It sounds like B Brite is a second line sanitizer.

My LHBS pushes B Brite

Go to the Sam Adams website promoting homebbrew. He uses B Brite.

Back