Sanitizing on bottling day - traces of water in bottle a big deal?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mike_brews

Reaction score
It's bottling day for my first batch of beer and I have just finished sanitizing all of my bottles and rinsed them out with cold water. A friend is coming over shortly to help me bottle the beer and there will still be a couple of drops of water left in each bottle as they haven't had time to fully air dry. I've shaken them dry the best I could and wondering if traces of water will have any effect on the batch?

I'm assuming it should be fine but thought I'd pop the question out there to be sure!

- Paranoid first time brewer

Meh, I'm sure it will be fine. Just curious though, why rinse them? What kind of sanitizer did you use? Was it just the stuff that came with a kit? If that's the case I used that stuff, rinsed my bottles also. Came out just fine.

Using sani-brew (diversol) which calls for rinsing after using. I'm living at a ski resort at the moment and bought all my gear from town and they are VERY limited with equipment so my first batch is a Brewhouse Red Ale. Moving to Vancouver in a couple of weeks so can start making my own wort which I'm looking forward to.

Most of the sanitizers I've used (StarSan, OneStep, etc.) don't require or suggest rinsing. I think the idea is that the sanitizer is bug free while the local water supply may not be. Rinsing may just undo the good you did by santizing.

That being said, if the sanitizer instructions call for rinsing, then a few drops of rinse water is probably not a big deal.

Personally, I'd mail-order for a bottle of StarSan or Iodophor and use that on my next batch. You'll find a lot more people comfortable with giving advice concerning those products.

For the next batch, try to get your hands on some StarSan. You'll be happy you did.

StarSan all day!! No rinse and is the best stuff u can buy. As for the water in the bottles. As long as u sanitized we'll you shouldn't have a problem. Give them a quick flick and bottle

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back