sanitizing idea

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JHendrix

Reaction score
Just now I was watching a commercial for an oreck vacuum commercial, and they were advertising a vacuum with an UVC light attached to the bottom, and it claims to get rid of 99.9% of all bacteria and germs. Now this got me thinking wouldn't it be so much easier to sanitize everything by waving a UVC light next to it rather than worrying about sanitizers.
heres a hand held product, I know it's expensive but it seems like it could be extremely useful
Walmart.com: Germ Guardian UV-C Light Wand: Appliances

Tell me what you guys all think.

Don't really know the science behind it, but I would think as an addition
to traditional sanitizers it might have some benefit. I know one of the brewing catalogs I get sells one.

quote from Cleaning and Sanitation - Home Brewing Wiki
"UV Light
UV ( Ultra Violet ) light is also another form of sanitiser/steriliser that is used to sterilise many forms of equipment. It is also used to sanitise water by passing the water over a UV light source.

UV does breakdown plastics so it is probably not the best method for use with plastics.

UV light can be sourced from special UV lights or from the sun. It can only work on clean surfaces.

It is not the most practical form of sanitising but does work."

Back