Sanitizers, one time use or?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drookit

Reaction score
Are the sanitizers (star san etc....) we use one time use only, or? Read a post yesterday on HBT that made me wonder. Now after thinking about it after the fact, I can't find that post.

Thanks!

Ken

Many will keep a bucket of StarSan and use it until it starts to get cloudy. I can't say for certain on the others, but I do know StarSan will last you a while with multiple uses.

I use starsan in a spray bottle and will generally use it for up to a week or more before dumping it. You can extend its age out more if you mix with distilled water, and there is a way to check its effectiveness with ph strips/meter but I don't bother with that. Moving over to using a spray bottle instead of a full 5g bucket full of sanitizer has been a really helpful modification to my processes, I just keep about a half gallon in a small container (other than my spray bottle) that I use for things like running the solution through my transfer lines and autosiphon.

tons in these forums re: this. I use for two batches then change over (I don't have test strips). Bottom line, if you want to be sure, get pH strips and if measuring <3.0 than it will do the job no matter how cloudy or how long it has been sitting for....

I use starsan in a spray bottle and will generally use it for up to a week or more before dumping it. You can extend its age out more if you mix with distilled water, and there is a way to check its effectiveness with ph strips/meter but I don't bother with that. Moving over to using a spray bottle instead of a full 5g bucket full of sanitizer has been a really helpful modification to my processes, I just keep about a half gallon in a small container (other than my spray bottle) that I use for things like running the solution through my transfer lines and autosiphon.

This will work. Now that I'm moving on to larger batches and have outgrown the kitchen, a spray bottle will be the ticket in the garage brewing.

I'll brew two weekends in a row when possible, then dump the sani.

Thanks.

I got a 5 gal bucket of star san and will probably use it for 2 batches over the next 1-2 months then dump it. Used it for sanitizing before kegging my first batch.

Back