Sanitizers - Due Date?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

solidghost

Reaction score
Just wondering is there any due dates on sanitziers? I can't find any due dates on my bottle of Iodophor anywhere. Can I keep it in the original bottles indefinitely?

Not sure what your due date for your iodophor is, but your book report better be finished by Tuesday!

I believe undiluted iodophor can be kept indefinately. Once diluted with water, you've got about 8 hrs of sanitizing life.

Not sure what your due date for your iodophor is, but your book report better be finished by Tuesday!

I believe undiluted iodophor can be kept indefinately. Once diluted with water, you've got about 8 hrs of sanitizing life.

On the BB podcast, one of the fellows that produces iodophor said that undiluted, dark, and cool it lasts a really long time. I think he said he tested a 30yr-old-sample and it was still fine.

I know I'm a broken record on this, but some small syringes really made a difference in the consistency of my dilution. You can pull 3cc/6cc/whatever with pretty good precision.

The "rule of thumb" on Star San seems to be:

- Undiluted lasts virtually 4 evar!
- Once diluted, if kept in a sealed container (e.g. corny keg) lasts at least a couple months, possibly upward of 6 months.
- Once diluted, if kept in a sealed Spray bottle or (new) Garden Sprayer, lasts upwards of 6 months.

Anyone else want to chime in on S.S.?

Back