Sanitizer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slantedbolt

Reaction score
Anyone have any luck with a specific solution or brand of sanitizer? just thinking ahead for when my "free" stuff that came with my kit is gone.

There's really just iodophor and StarSan. Iodophor needs a 2 or 3 minute contact time and you have to fill vessels with it and wait, but StarSan can just be sprayed on so you need a lot less. I'm guessing some people spray on iodophor but that's really only OK for small parts and when you use a higher than recommended concentration.

Iodophor works for me. It's very cost efficient and works just as well as some more expensive options.

The catch is that it's not a cleaner. It works for sanitation only.

Also, there's a lot of differing opinions out there on the necessary contact time for sanitizing with iodophor. Even Palmer lists two different times in the 3rd edition of How to Brew.

I've been using it like a contact/ spray on sanitizer and I haven't had any problems.

Back