sanitizer water in airlock?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hophead65

Reaction score
Should I be using sanitizer water in my airlock or is regular tap water fine? Also, if I'm using a blowoff tube, should I put sanitizer water in the pitcher the tube is running into?

Tap water is fine...unless its well water then I would opt out of using it. Blow-off tube is the same story...not to mention if you forget about suck back, would you rather suck back sanitizer and dead yeast or water and living yeast? Just put some plastic wrap around the top of the blow-off tube water so it can't get stuff falling into and starting an infection.

I always use cheap vodka in my airlocks due to the suckback that can happen with temperature and barometric pressure changes.

If something is going to be sucked back into my beer, I would rather it be vodka instead of tap water or even sanitizer that has lost its effectiveness.

I always use some of the StarSan solution in my airlocks. I brew using the "No Chill Method" and when the wort goes into the fermentor, it is usually still hotter than pitching temps. I know the airlock will most likely get sucked back in as the wort cools and starsan turns to yeast food so I am not worried about that.

I always keep a CHEAP bottle of Vodka on hand in case I accidentally dump the startsan without filling the airlock or something. It is also a good liquid (as is any hard liquor) to fill the airlock with since it is sanitary and if it gets sucked back its gives a minute boost to the ABV :D.

Depends what sanitizer. Starsan is fine. I wouldn't try it with iodine. You can also use cheap vodka. And yeah, sanitizer inthe pitcher is good. Just make sure your blowoff is in the water, and the fermenter is higher than the pitcher of sanitizer.

I use StarSan. If you don't overfill the airlock, it usually won't suck back in anyway. If it does end up sucking some in, a couple ml's per 5 gallons won't make a difference.

Also, if you buy vodka, don't make the same boneheaded mistake I did. I bought just the cheapest vodka at the ABC store which ended up being "Light Vodka". It was only 40 proof which put it far below the threashold of alcohol content to sanitize hahaha

Depends what sanitizer. Starsan is fine. I wouldn't try it with iodine. You can also use cheap vodka. And yeah, sanitizer inthe pitcher is good. Just make sure your blowoff is in the water, and the fermenter is higher than the pitcher of sanitizer.

Why not with iodine (Iodophor)?

Why not with iodine (Iodophor)?

Wouldn't want it washing back into my beer. Even the lil but in the airlock. Iodine has a salty odor and taste that I can perceive in small concentrations.
Also, I've been told not to use iodine on plastic because it can leave that smell and taste behind. I'm probably just OCD, but I don't use iodine at all anymore.

When I brew I begin by mixing up 2.5 gal of star san in a bucket. After the brew is in the fermenter, 1.5l of the remaining starsan goes into a 2l bottle to receive the discharge end of the blow of tube. .5L goes into a spray bottle to deal with the inevitable sanitizing required during the 4 weeks of primary fermentation. Spray bottle fills the airlock as often as is required once Kraeusen has subsided. The rest of the star san goes into the rubbermaid water bat that keeps the temp proper. Waste not want not.

I always use cheap vodka in my airlocks due to the suckback that can happen with temperature and barometric pressure changes.

If something is going to be sucked back into my beer, I would rather it be vodka instead of tap water or even sanitizer that has lost its effectiveness.

this.

Suckback also occurrs if moving plastic carboys without a milkcrate or something to help keep the shape.

I eliminated the the "suck back" problem that I was having when I cold crashed by using the "double bubble" type airlocks instead of the 3-piece airlock. The double bubble or S-shaped airlock works in both directions and the fluid won't get sucked back into the fermenter. I still use starsan or vodka in the airlock though to prevent mold or bacteria from forming inside the airlock.

Here is a link to a picture of what I am talking about: http://www.austinhomebrew.com/popup_product_images.php?pID=922

I eliminated the the "suck back" problem that I was having when I cold crashed by using the "double bubble" type airlocks instead of the 3-piece airlock. The double bubble or S-shaped airlock works in both directions and the fluid won't get sucked back into the fermenter. I still use starsan or vodka in the airlock though to prevent mold or bacteria from forming inside the airlock.

Here is a link to a picture of what I am talking about: http://www.austinhomebrew.com/popup_product_images.php?pID=922

You can argue either way on this one...your method just lets the air straight in but avoids sucking back whatever liquid is in the airlock. Its up to the brewer on where he stands on this point!

You can argue either way on this one...your method just lets the air straight in but avoids sucking back whatever liquid is in the airlock. Its up to the brewer on where he stands on this point!

But what very little air gets back in has to travel through vodka or starsan. That is another good reason to use it over just water. I don't see much danger in that and I have never once had any infections to my beer. Also if all the fluid gets sucked in, what good is the airlock at that point?

When I brew I begin by mixing up 2.5 gal of star san in a bucket. After the brew is in the fermenter, 1.5l of the remaining starsan goes into a 2l bottle to receive the discharge end of the blow of tube. .5L goes into a spray bottle to deal with the inevitable sanitizing required during the 4 weeks of primary fermentation. Spray bottle fills the airlock as often as is required once Kraeusen has subsided. The rest of the star san goes into the rubbermaid water bat that keeps the temp proper. Waste not want not.
This was exactly what I was thinking about my sanitizer I only made 2.5 gallons when my brewing kit recipe said make 5! And I had Plenty. And then I thought why do I need to throw this away, I can save some of this for my airlock. And also didn’t think about saving for a blow off.

Tap water is fine...unless its well water then I would opt out of using it. Blow-off tube is the same story...not to mention if you forget about suck back, would you rather suck back sanitizer and dead yeast or water and living yeast? Just put some plastic wrap around the top of the blow-off tube water so it can't get stuff falling into and starting an infection.
Now this is interesting... I wonder if using water like you’re saying helps to provide some beneficial wild yeast?

Back