Sanitizer question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bennychico11

Reaction score
I plan on having a long day Saturday brewing two batches and bottling another one. I use a one step sanitizer and I was wondering if I should change out the solution that I mix in a large bucket after every batch I do? I was just planning on bottling first and sanitizing all my bottles and in the same solution, sanitizing all my utensils and buckets for my two brews. Then I started thinking maybe I should just change the solution out for each?

Thanks

Save $$, switch to StarSan
don't have experience with one-step.
if you think it's risky, don't take the chance...

Save $$, switch to StarSan
don't have experience with one-step.
if you think it's risky, don't take the chance...

actually I think the one step is cheaper isn't it? I can get an 8oz package for less than two bucks at my local shop.

I haven't had any problems with one step so far. It seems to do a great job, just adding a teaspoon to each gallon of warm water. I just wasn't sure how long a solution lasts. Sort of like mop water...does every time you dump something in make it less effective?
I may just change it out after each batch anyway once the water cools down too much.

Starsan costs more per package, but goes much farther. You only need one oz per 5 gallons of water. I just switched over to it. I had been using One-Step before that.

I never had problems with One-Step and I didn't change if the water cooled off. I usually filled the fermenter and then capped it or put tin-foil over the top.

As to the original question, can you make enough from the original One-Step batch to sanitize everythin for both brews? If not, I would do separate. You could probably get away with re-using the One-Step solution for the bottles...

One-Step is a cleaner not a sanitizer, get some Star-San. I reuse star-san all the time, as long as it will still foam and isn't full of debris and other crap it can be used multiple times.

+1 for getting some starsan, it can be expensive at local stores but you can find it online for a good price.

One-Step is a cleaner not a sanitizer, get some Star-San.

It's a cleaner even though it says it's a sanitizer?
"One-Step" No-Rinse Sanitizer

edit-- although that site actually says
"In a closed, dark, and clean container, a solution of One Step will last up to 1 week. In a closed, clean container in a refrigerator, the solution is good for over a month (but let it warm up before you use it)"

It is a sanitizer-

"One-step: One-step releases oxygen into solution in a way that
forms hydrogen peroxide. Hydrogen peroxide kills bacteria and other
infectious organisms. Hydrogen peroxide then degrades into water
and oxygen and the only residue is a thin film of minerals that are
naturally found in most water supplies. One-step is not labeled
as a sanitizer because the producer has not chosen to apply with
the FDA for that designation. One step is mixed at one tbsp. per
gallon of warm water. One-step should not be used with hard water
(over 200ppm total hardness). One step has no listed contact time,
but in our experience 2 minutes is effective."

That being said I still feel more comfortable using Star-San, and yes I would make a new batch for each new beer, its not worth the risk of contaminating a $30-$40 dollar batch for $2 in sanitizer.

actually I think the one step is cheaper isn't it? I can get an 8oz package for less than two bucks at my local shop.

I haven't had any problems with one step so far. It seems to do a great job, just adding a teaspoon to each gallon of warm water. I just wasn't sure how long a solution lasts. Sort of like mop water...does every time you dump something in make it less effective?
I may just change it out after each batch anyway once the water cools down too much.

Hey Bennychico. I use One Step...you are supposed to use 1 TABLESPOON for a gallon of water. Not 1 Teaspoon. But I am gald you have'nt had any problems as yet. Cheers

Back