Sanitized keg several months ago.....question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rdbrett

Reaction score
I sanitized a keg of mine this past summer. After sanitizing with starsan, I pressurized it w/ CO2. Would still consider it sanitized? Or need to be done again?

Sanitizing is the reduction in bacteria (and yeast/ mold) to an acceptable safe level, sterilization is the total removal. I would assume it was not completely dry and there are plenty of things that will grow under co2, I would do it again to be safe.

I sanitized a keg of mine this past summer. After sanitizing with starsan, I pressurized it w/ CO2. Would still consider it sanitized? Or need to be done again?

Your kegs are still sanitized, as long as the keg holds pressure nothing is getting in or out. Give the keg a shake and pass the starsan into your next keg. As a note, I assume you ran the starsan through the in and out tubes.

I often keep a keg of starsan (1 gallon or less) to clean picnic tap lines, keg lines, etc.

Back