Sanitized bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcevoy

Reaction score
Would it be okay if I sanitized my grolsch swing -top bottles all at once, then closed them/ sealed them and just opened them up when I need to bottle? Any risks in doing this?

depends on your sanitizer. Some break down within a short amount of time. Using a no rinse sanitizer on the day of bottling isn't that bad. Just dunk your bottles in some container with the sanitizer, and pull them as needed. We use a cleaned cooler. Fill it up with iodaphor/water, and put the bottles in. The cooler holds a case at a time. Pull them as needed.

I was and sanitize my bottles in advance. I store them open in cases to air dry. I sanitize afain using my santize tree (thats what I call it) so there is zero chance to screw up my work. I take sanitizing very serious. Zero infections and not planning on counting any.

I would re-sanitize them on bottling day then regardless. The sanitizers we use are wet contact/no-rinse sanitzers. That means they are at their most effective when the sanitizer is still wet and clinging to the surface. Anything that then comes in contact with that sanitizer barrier is then neutralized. On the other hand if we let out sanitizer dry, anything landing on the surface renders that object no longer sanitized. So you flip the lid over to fill the bottle, and for example a fruit fly decide to land on the gasket in that split second, then that gasket isn't all that sanitary any more.

Honestly if you're doing this to save time, then there's something wrong with your bottling process. And you need to re-evaluate how you're bottling. It takes me no more than 5-7 minutes to sanitize 2 cases of beer bottles with my vinator, and my entire bottling process takes no more than an hour any way. If you haven't already read the bottling sticky in the bottling/kegging section for tips and tricks to make the bottling session effortless without having to cut any corners especially where sanitization is concerned.

Back