Sanitize in bathtub

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CPAbrewing

Reaction score
Quick question. I need to bottle tomorrow. Can i clean/rinse the bathtub, let bleach water sit in it for an hour drain and refill with more bleach water and then sanitize bottles? I was also planning to sanitize with iodine solution tomorrow before bottling as a final precaution. I read on the internet that I'm supposed to let the bleach sit in the tub for 24 hours before i add bottles but i don't think i have time. I have an IPA that i brewed on 11/6/11 and i'm thinking i don't want it to sit in the carboy for much longer. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Quick question. I need to bottle tomorrow. Can i clean/rinse the bathtub, let bleach water sit in it for an hour drain and refill with more bleach water and then sanitize bottles? I was also planning to sanitize with iodine solution tomorrow before bottling as a final precaution. I read on the internet that I'm supposed to let the bleach sit in the tub for 24 hours before i add bottles but i don't think i have time. I have an IPA that i brewed on 11/6/11 and i'm thinking i don't want it to sit in the carboy for much longer. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Eeeewwww! I wouldn't but to each his own. Do you have a dishwasher with a hot or sanitize cycle. Or bake the bottles in the oven. I have a Vinator and use starsan and put them back on the dishwasher rack and bottle from there.

I'd wait longer first of all. At least 3 weeks.

Otherwise, no, that sounds gross. If you haven't, somebody else has peed in your tub.

Of course you can do that. Clean the tub first, basically as you described, but on the first fill make sure there is no grunge left, elbow grease is your friend. Drain it, refill it, add the bleach then submerge the bottles. No need to let the bleach sit in the water that long before adding bottles, just make sure it is mixed in well. If the bottles are visibly clean, 15 minutes or so before starting your rinse is fine. If they are dirty, you will need to be diligent about making sure each and every one is clean... brush if available, agitate, etc.... Rinse the bottles well and you'll be fine. Did it this way for a lot of years... also, in a commercial setting where we bottle conditioned, we would use a big stainless tub and do much the same thing when we had to use old glass. No problem at all. That being said, the dishwasher method IS preferable, if only for the sake of ease.

...or you could mix up a solution of Iodophor or Starsan and shake a bit in cleaned bottles and then let drain. These products only need a minute or two of surface contact to sanitize, don't smell like bleach, don't leave a taste unlike bleach and you won't have to scrub the bathtub or wonder what kind of residues may have been left behind.

Thank you for all the quick responses! I really appreciate it. I feel like I will be "double sanitizing" just to be sure by using the bleach water to soak the bottles and then rinsing with iodine before bottling. I do like the dishwasher idea. Thanks again!

(FYI: no one has peed in the bathtub either and isn't urine sterile anyways?!)

Thank you for all the quick responses! I really appreciate it. I feel like I will be "double sanitizing" just to be sure by using the bleach water to soak the bottles and then rinsing with iodine before bottling. I do like the dishwasher idea. Thanks again!

(FYI: no one has peed in the bathtub either and isn't urine sterile anyways?!)

Urine is typically sterile, yes, but that doesn't mean its odorless or tasteless. I may not be "smart" or "good with science" (Chris Farley finger quotes, anyone) but I'm pretty sure that there might be flavor/aroma aspects of urine that aren't going to dissipate over time.

And, I'm not advocating peeing in the tub, I'm just saying I can't help it...warm water and all. :eek:

Why do people insist on making things so complicated and difficult. Get yourself a Sulfiter, fill it will Starsan, sanitize bottles and put on bottling tree to dry. Takes less then 10 minutes to sanitize 50 bottles. You dont need nasty harsh Chemicals like bleach to sanitize

I'm not advocating peeing in the tub, I'm just saying I can't help it...warm water and all.

I thought that was just natural, Also it just eliminates one more step of the morning ritual... leaves more time for coffee and good reading before work.

Well first of all, let me just say I'm of the opinion that you either pee in the shower or lie about it.

As long as your bottles are clean - meaning no grunge or anything - they only need to be sanitized. And if you insist on sanitizing them with bleach, I would just fill a $3 home depot bucket with your bleach solution and fill the bottles by dunking them into the bucket. Let them sit on your countertop or wherever for 15 minutes, then rinse.

When you rinse, first take off your aerator (bacteria and other little nasties like to hide out there), sanitize the end of the tap, and use only cold water. Cold water should have a little residual chlorine if you're on municipal water, and hot water coming from your tank could also be harboring nasties.

Before I got a pump and tree all I did was use starsan and a funnel. I would nearly fill my first bottle and using a small funnel I would fill, shake, then move it to the next, etc. etc.

That's what I did at first. But doing a few bottles at a time got old fast. Got a bottle tree & vinator & never looked back.

Latest posts

Back