Sanitisation of heat exchanger

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SPIRITofLUST

Reaction score
I ask for your help for advice, I'd need the opinion of some of you hombrewers who have knowledge of analytical chemistry. By mistake I sanitized the heat exchanger with peracetic, making a circle of water "in continuum" using a pump and a bucket full of water (and peracetic just). It was a tragic mistake due to a late evening and also a bit "tired". The peracetic is an oxidant and therefore, as imaginable, the water in the bucket is tinted in blue because of the oxidation of the copper of which the heat exchanger is made, with relative copper sulfate production (the blue) . Next I rinsed the exchanger using cold / hot water, then I used it by passing a newly finished (hot) kolsch. But I have a doubt: having oxidized (and consequently "corroding") the inner copper of the exchanger, is it enough to rinse with water or oxidation persists over time, causing contamination irrespective of having rinsed with water? Is the heat exchanger to be thrown or is it usable for next cookies? THANK YOU!!!! All the best for all you.

Luca, Italian Homebrewer

Yeah, you really need to etch away a lot of copper in the brazing to develop internal leaks. A few hours of peracetic at 90C won't do that.

I always use alkaline products, never acids in plate chillers.

Back