sanitation FAIL

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soupfist

Reaction score
Partly bummed & partly amused with myself...I wasn't really emotionally attached to the Vienna Lager I just bottled, but it sucks to end almost two months of work like this:

Went to bottle and followed the process I usually do: make a big bucket of Star San to sanitize the bottling bucket, siphon, and then soak the bottles & bottle caps. Except I got distracted and didn't realize until I'd already capped a case and a half that I forgot to add the StarSan.

So I essentially sanitized all my bottling day materials with cold Georgia tap water. :mad:

I'm willing to take my lumps for that. mostly just fishing for "yeah, I did that and it all turned out fine" stories. Don't really expect any, but it'd be a real morale booster.

Never have i seen that thread Revvy, wonderful.

In my experience, rinsing with water can be sufficient if your equipment is already "clean", nothing stuck on the surface. There is a good Basic Brewing podcast with James Spencer, somewhere on this site, with the creator of Star San stating that if something is clean and rinsed its good to go. I dont think sanitizers are always necessary.

Thanks for the LOLs. I might have just infected my wort with steam drips from above. :fro:

I used diluted bleach on my whole arm so I could stick it in the fermenter.

Just to attach a piece that made less sediment come out of the spigot....
Reached in, felt around and found out that I had to remove the spigot to attach it lol.
Such a waste, and would have been pissed if I infected that batch for nothing. But it turned out fine.

We have a whole thread of them.

heh, yeah, I even contributed a story to that thread, the one about bottling thru a spigot clogged with a beetle. But at least I soaked that beetle in Star San for a good 30 minutes... :)

I relaxed, I didn't worry, I had a homebrew, got up this morning & brewed a nice dunkelweizen to bubble away over the holidays. Life goes on. :mug:

It may still be ok; though I would place those bottles in some kind of container to be safe- bottle bombs make a mess at best.

Update: Hahahaha...another victory for RDWHAHB. I left my unsanitized bottled Vienna to carbonate over the holidays. Fridged one up & cracked it open last night...perfection.

Is concluding that it's really hard to screw up beer the final thing to learn in order to graduate from Beer Jedi Academy?

no! The final thing to learn is this...

You can never stop learning, there is always room for improvement.

Congrats are in order, besides, a little Lacto isnt bad for ya

Back