Sanitation Experiment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smokewater

Reaction score
I was bottling up my Yooper DFH60 clone, sipping on my hydrometer sample when only about 1/2 the bottle got filled. I stuck a funnel in the bottle and dumped what the dip tube didn't pick up in there. That got me about 3/4 full. Topped it off with the hydrometer sample and capped it.

I stuck it outside in the storage room in one of my pots in case it explodes. After a week it looks very clear with nice yeast sediment on the bottom.

Looking forward to see what oxygenated and possibly contaminated beer tastes like in a couple more weeks.

ill bet it turnes out fine. seeing as the fermentation was complete i doubt it's contaminated.
let us know how it turnes out

I have found it more difficult than one would think to infect homebrew... Even slanting yeast with minimal precautions (intentionally to test it) has resulted in an identical product to the super extreme sanitation precautions utilized slants... Maybe it's one part luck, also... And to hell with Mr Malty - I'd need a 5 gallon yeast starter for every 5 gallon lager I brew if I followed that super scientific calculation! My underpitched lagers ferment out perfectly to 1.010 from 1.049 in roughly 5 days at 52F. LOL - watch the next one be an infected movie popcorn disaster!

Back