Sani-Q - Buckeye

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KeyWestBrewing

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have no relation with the makers of this product nor do I sell it.

Doesn't seem like people have much experience with this stuff so I wanted to do a follow up. I've been using Sani-Q since I ran out of starsan and it will probably be what I use from here on out. It hasn't imparted any flavors into anything Ive used it for and it actually has a nice deodorizing smell to it. Its NSF registered for use as a sanitizer in federally inspected meat, poultry, and beverage plants. At 1oz per 4gal it can be used as a sanitizer and at 1oz per gallon it can be used as a disinfectant. It also doesn't foam up when mixing a solution. For $20 a gallon compared to $70 a gallon for Starsan I hope some other people make the switch and save some money.

I work in the janitorial supply industry, I am not a distributor of Buckeye products, so I have no experience with this product. However I am a distributor for the Betco corporation line of products. SaniQ sounds very similar to a Betco product called Sanibet. Betco's part number for the gallon of concentrate is 30504. It also is at a ratio of 1/4 ounce per gallon. I know they both have quaternary compounds (quats) that are used for the disinfecting. Looking at the active ingredients in the msds sheets show that they are a little different. I have always wondered if it would work in the sanitizing of homebrew equipment. It seems as though the contact time needed for disinfecting is longer than that of Starsan. I will have to look at the label of Sanibet, but I am pretty sure they don't mention anything about beer fermentation tanks. They basically say the same thing as SaniQ, flatware, glassware, approve for federally inspected meat and poultry plants,etc. I will look closer at the label and report back. Because I am a distributor, I purchase this product at costs. My only thing is that I have used starsan for years and have never had an infection. I guess I just don,t want to run the risk of having a bad batch.

Cool to hear from someone that understands more about these products than me. It was recommended to me by a friend but I was hesitant at first not using Starsan as its always served me well. It also has a different substance make up than Sani-Q which worried me about if it would influence the beer. But with the huge difference in cost and the fact the local chemical store always carries it I gave it a shot. So far so good and it leaves my equipment smelling nice. I don't want to knock Starsan here but I do want to let other homebrewers know there's other cheaper options out there for us.

The Betco product does not mention fermentation tanks, but does mention dairy tanks and dairy processing equipment, so it looks to be a very similar product.

Back