Sangria Quad

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

italarican

Reaction score
I was having a red wine smoothie (I don't know, wanted to have a drink but also use my Ninja) & thought the flavors could be spun into a really nice beer. I'm basically thinking a red-wine barrel-aged beer w/ plenty of fruit that'd complement that red wine flavor. A quad felt like a natural to have to flavor profile and hefty backbone to handle all this!

Just added some red wine to some oak cubes to soak together & plan to brew in about a week. Here's what I'm thinking (still might tweak):

Batch: 6 gallons
Target OG: 1.090 (around 75% efficiency)
Target FG: 1.020 (around 8.5-9.0% ABV)
IBU: 20
Boil: 120 minutes
Primary: 28 days at 66F
Secondary: TBD (a few months)
Yeast: WLP 530 (Abbey Ale)
Yeast starter: You bet

Grain Bill
59% Pilsner (12 lbs)
25% Vienna (5 lbs)
4% Special B (0.75 lbs)
2% Caramunich I (0.5 lbs)
10% Homemade Belgian Dark Candi Syrup (2 lbs)-- At boil

Hops
2 oz Hallertau 90 min

Extras for Secondary
2 oz Oak Cubes (plus the red wine they were soaking in)
1.25 lbs plums
1.25 lbs dark cherry
1.25 lbs blackberries
1.25 lbs raspberries

Process
Mash @ 150, 60 min
Sparge @ 168, 10 min
120-minute boil
Chill to 66, pitch Abbey Yeast

Brewed the recipe above today. Looks like this will be our last weekend before it chills off for the the year, so glad I took care of it now.

Successful brewday overall: closer to 80% efficiency, 6.25 gallons, mashed at 151F. Everything else as above. Will transfer to secondary in 28-30 days.

IMG_1863.jpg
IMG_1865.jpg
IMG_1862.JPG

The fruiting has begun. One carboy w/ blackberries & raspberries, the other w/ black cherries & plums. Both have the red-wine soaked oak cubes that've been sitting since brew day. Now we wait...
IMG_2350.jpg

Back