Sanatizing w/ Mr. Beer Stuff

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rleeq

Reaction score
Hey Y'all. I just got my first MR. Ber Premium Kit. I am going through the sanitation process and I notice that there is a residue on the glass measuring cup. Looks like a chalky kinda stuff. As I know the sani stuff in poison ism it ok to leave this stuff on the glass?

My son in law uses Mr. Beer exclusively (because It's easy) and he does not rinse the sanitizer before using the equipment. Me, personally, I rinse the equipment after sanitizing. I do help him drink his Mr Beer and I've never noticed any affect in flavor from the sanitizing solution. What they are giving you is either "one step" or pretty close to "one steP" and one step says rinsing is not necessary. Try it both ways and see which one you prefer.

One Step, the stuff that comes with Mr. Beer, is a sodium percarbonate cleaner - basically the same thing as OxiClean. Sodium percarbonate is sodium carbonate "treated" with hydrogen peroxide. When it comes into contact with water, oxygen is released and sodium carbonate is left behind.

Sodium carbonate is also known as soda ash. It can be harmful if ingested, but you probably need a higher concentration than is on your glass. Usually a thorough rinse of hot water will get it off, though. If it is being really stubborn, dunk it in something acidic. I usually use StarSan which is available in any brewing store (and, unlike One Step, is rated for use as an actual sanitizer).

EDIT: Here's some info on the toxicity of soda ash

Back