*San Diego Brewers* Modern Times 53 gal Bourbon Barrel Project

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 198378

Reaction score
San Diego brewers,

I recently got my hands on a 53 gallon Heaven Hill Distilleries Bourbon barrel that Modern Times used to age their Monster's Teeth in. I'm looking to team up with local brewers to fill this beast and do it relatively soon.

I'll be cleaning it today and filling it with Citric Acid/PM solution to keep the bugs at bay until brew day.

I have a 13 gallon and 20 gallon brew kettle setup with 1 burner/1 chest cooler. I need help to get all 53 gallons brewed.

Thinking of just doing barrel ferm and letting it sit until next Christmas. Thoughts?

Anyone offer advice if I were to fill the Barrel half-way and ferment in the barrel?

Wouldn't this remove all the oxygen and yield the inside of the barrel sanitary for aging purposes?

Was thinking either Fremont Abominable clone or Firestone Parabola clone

I wish I was in san diego so I could help fill it. I saw that deal and looked pretty sweet. I don't have any personal experience with barrels but from what I have heard on sour hour I don't think you could fill it only half way. There would be way too much oxygen. I think it's okay to not top off but they start full most the time. Good luck hope some others can help you fill it.

Yeah part of me was thinking that not only would it not work, but it would be a waste since the top of the wort wouldn't be in contact with the wood.

Also, going through all the work to not get a full 50 gallons out of it wouldn't make sense either.

Primary fermentation should cause at least some of the O2 to be used by the yeast and the rest should eventually be displaced by the evolving CO2.

But, once fermentation is complete, there'd be excessive headspace, which will cause the keg to "breathe" with every temperature change, however slight. That would have me concerned wrt aging...

Cheers!

Washed and filled with 100 degree water of a Citric acid/Potassium Metabisulfite solution.

I have to say, that barrel smelled AMAZEBALLS!!

Can't wait to fill this with an Imperial Stout

I would think you have some great home brew clubs in your area. I'm sure you would have no problem getting it filled if you checked out the club scene.

Back