San Diego Area Breweries/Brewpubs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmiller8

Reaction score
Heading to San Diego in a few weeks. What are some breweries and brew pubs you'd recommend? On my list were Stone, Alesmith, Ballast Point, Port/Lost Abbey and Green Flash. Open to recommendations or if some of the ones I listed aren't worth going to.

Thanks!

Yeah most of the big guys as of now, but definitely open to some suggestions. We get plenty of Stone beers in Indiana so there's not a huge need to go to their brewery. In terms of location, we are staying near La Jolla.

I'd check out Modern Times as well. Their beer is awesome. The main place is in Point Loma and they also have a tasting room in North Park.

I hear you on Stone but, even though their beers are widely available, I wouldn't rule out a visit. Those facilities are pretty impressive and the food is really good. Plus they pour a bunch of different San Diego beers - not just theirs.

Have fun. Cheers.

Yeah most of the big guys as of now, but definitely open to some suggestions. We get plenty of Stone beers in Indiana so there's not a huge need to go to their brewery. In terms of location, we are staying near La Jolla.

Yes, and the real brewery is in Escondido, quite a drive north. If you go, try the enjoy by on tap. You won't get fresher. Not really sure where la jolla is

Also, toronado bar is a good place to visit. Great selection. I didn't get to visit as many places as I would've liked when I went there last fall. A lot of people recommended alpine brewery, but couldn't make it there, and never did try their beer,because I couldn't find any. Modern times might be a good place to visit. The white labs tasting room is interesting as a homebrewer, but otherwise the beer there is not worth the trip just for that aspect alone. I never made it to lost abbey either, but I do really like their beers. It seemed off the beaten path a bit for me.

TD

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

If you do Stone do the brewery location and get the tour (25 ppl max). The other locations are "just" bars. And if you go to the North County, might as well hit up Lost Abbey and maybe some of the nano-breweries like Indian Joes, Belching Beaver, or Lat33. I assume you're a homebrewer so WhiteLabs would be very educational.

To make a circuit of it:
1) start in the Mira mesa/mar area with Alesmith, Societe, Greenflash, and Hess
2) Cut across to Whitelabs
3) head up the 15 to Stone
4) go west on the 78 to Lost Abbey
5) take San Marcos Blvd (to Palomar apt) and catch Iron Fist/Belching/Lat33/Indian/Aztec/etc
6) back down the 5 to LJ, maybe catch Pizza Port in solana beach but you can skip if you hit lost abbey.

Back