Same ole questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kmires

Reaction score
I'm sort of a noob. I brewed a few batches years ago and then left the hobby. Strange I know!!! But I'm back now. And I have a AHB Honey Ale going done off a partial.

I left in the primary only about 6 days and the gravity went from 1.052 to 1.014. I moved to secondary (which I use to do but after reading here may no longer be the norm). How long can/should I leave in the secondary? 2 weeks? More?

I can't believe I ever left the home brew ranks!!! :)

What temp is it sitting at? I generally leave it until the beer clears which is usually plenty of time for the yeast to do the "clean up thing".

You can leave it in the 2* as long as you want but as a honey ale, I'd leave it in for just over two weeks then bottle/keg, and enjoy when ready.

Heavier, darker (and/or a lager) can stand in a 2* for as long as you can take it.

Search some threads...no need to 2* any more. Leave in the 1* for three weeks and then bottle/keg. Easy, peasy.

Cheers!

Thanks for the quick replies! I should be more specific. It's a Honey Brown Ale kit from Austin Homebrew. I'll plan to leave about 2 weeks then bottle for 3 or 4. The waiting is the hardest part!!!

:)

It should only take a week in the secondary for that beer. The primary is for fermenting so 2 days after you have reached terminal gravity transfer to the secondary. The secondary is for clearing. Once it is clear (5-7 days) it no longer needs to be in the secondary. Now you need to bottle and with the honey brown it will be ready to drink as soon as it is carbonated.

I have had beers that do not clear in the secondary as well as I would like in a week. For those I transfer to a tertiary and it usually starts clearing rapidly within an hour or two. Let it set in the tertiery for a day or two and you will be good. This has only happen 4 times in the last 22 years of brewing heavily so you shouldnt need a tertiary, but it helps if it is stubborn.

Forrest

It should only take a week in the secondary for that beer. The primary is for fermenting so 2 days after you have reached terminal gravity transfer to the secondary. The secondary is for clearing. Once it is clear (5-7 days) it no longer needs to be in the secondary. Now you need to bottle and with the honey brown it will be ready to drink as soon as it is carbonated.

I have had beers that do not clear in the secondary as well as I would like in a week. For those I transfer to a tertiery and it usually starts clearing rapidly within an hour or two. Let it set in the tertiery for a day or two and you will be good. This has only happen 4 times in the last 22 years of brewing heavily so you shouldnt need a tertiery, but it helps if it is stubborn.

Forrest

Wow! This is my first time even hearing of a tertiery!

Most brewers have one. They come in handy if your secondary has an inch of sediment after a week or just wont clear.

Forrest

Most brewers have one. They come in handy if your secondary has an inch of sediment after a week or just wont clear.

Really???? I get people suggesting I'm doing it wrong for even doing a secondary. Doing a third fermenter seems....... well, not what "most" brewers are doing.

Most brewers are not using a tertiary. I said most brewers have one. I have only had to use a tertiary 4 times in 22 years of brewing.

I like a sediment free bottle of beer. Every several years I have a beer that just wont clear. It helps me to transfer again to remove the sediment. Not required if you are ok with the sediment in the bottle. A lot of homebrewers are.

Forrest

Really???? I get people suggesting I'm doing it wrong for even doing a secondary. Doing a third fermenter seems....... well, not what "most" brewers are doing.

You do what you like or feel most comfortable with. I seldom use a secondary and primary for 3-4 weeks at proper temps for the yeast to do their job and clean up. I have read where some will use a "third fermentation vessel", but I never have. I cold crash to drop the suspended .....stuff:) Welcome back to HBT & cheers:tank:

well played you. :ban:

Yes, tertiary just means third. Primary, secondary, tertiary, quartenary.

Forrest

quartenary? really? that's where i gotta call BS, man. i mean, yeah, it's a word and it means something, but a quartenary fermenter or vessel? c'mon man. you expect someone to think your motive is to help and not sell supplies when you're recommending tertiary and quartenary vessels for your avg beer? i can see a tersh to clear something like a lambic or something that sits in secondary for a long time with added fruit or whatever.... but a quartenary? that just seems like a stretch to me, bro.

just saying'...... :ban:

quartenary? really? that's where i gotta call BS, man. i mean, yeah, it's a word and it means something, but a quartenary fermenter or vessel? c'mon man. you expect someone to think your motive is to help and not sell supplies when you're recommending tertiary and quartenary vessels for your avg beer? i can see a tersh to clear something like a lambic or something that sits in secondary for a long time with added fruit or whatever.... but a quartenary? that just seems like a stretch to me, bro.

I've actually done 4 transfers with wine before. But that was mainly an experiment to see if I could get all of the yeast out.. It worked by the way.. But.. yeah.. I kinda agree with you Nordeast..

I've actually done 4 transfers with wine before. But that was mainly an experiment to see if I could get all of the yeast out.. It worked by the way.. But.. yeah.. I kinda agree with you Nordeast..

wine, sure. you play with that stuff way more than beer. i'm learning that now that my wife took up winemaking. but yeah, this our friend forrest's got some funny ideas of how to brew beer. i damn near spit my Spaten Dunkel (i just like saying that) at the screen when i saw the 'tertiary, quartenary' post. classic! :ban:

I was joking. They are just words. I was explaining the word to the poster not suggesting a forth carboy as a purchase. You know... *giggle*

I have said that I have only used a tertiary 4 times in the last 22 years of heavy brewing. Seconday is a very good thing a tertiary only in emergencies. I am not trying to sell anything. Everyone has a secondary and most have a tertiary already. What is it called if you have ten carboys and you are not afraid to use them?

Forrest

Austinhomebrew said:
I was joking. They are just words. I was explaining the word to the poster not suggesting a forth carboy as a purchase. You know... *giggle*

I have said that I have only used a tertiary 4 times in the last 22 years of heavy brewing. Seconday is a very good thing a tertiary only in emergencies. I am not trying to sell anything. Everyone has a secondary and most have a tertiary already. What is it called if you have ten carboys and you are not afraid to use them?

Forrest

Tertiary is just back into the primary (at least, it could be)

Back