Same batch with different yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

h22lude

Reaction score
Who has made the same batch more than once but used different yeast and came out with similar but two different tasting beers?

I'm really just curious to see how different two yeasts make a beer come out. Sounds like a fun project...and an excuse to brew a lot of beer lol

It's done all the time. One way is to split the 5 gallon batch into a bunch of wine jugs and pitch different yeasts into each. Or to split the batch into two 3 gallon carboys and use 2 different yeast/

Ever since I've gone to 10 gallons, I try to do this as much as possible. It really is interesting to see the difference. For instance, I found out that I prefer US-04 in my Blonde Ale recipe as opposed to Nottingham, but prefer US-05 to US-04 in my IPA.

I've got two 5 gallon pale ales fermenting right now - one with US05 and one with a Belgian Strong Yeast. I only have 2 kegs and they have beer in them now, or I'd be drinking them now. I guess I should go ahead and drink a little beer out of that keg now...

Saint Arnold's does this with one of their commercial beers. Fancy Lawnmower is a Kolsch fermented with a Kolsch yeast. Weedwacker is the same recipe fermented with a Bavarian hefeweizen yeast.

I tried this with a simple 5g kolsch split into 2.5g recipe to compare WLP029 and wyeast 2565. It's really interesting to see the differences.

Back