Sam Adams

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rklene

Reaction score
I think I have given up on Sam Adams. It's not worth finding one good beer in a variety pack and having to drink 5 mediocre ones.
Good bye Samuel it's been bitter sweet.

I never bought a variety pack... They have a few beers that I really like; Boston Lager, Winter Lager, Double Bock... the Noble Pils is decent, not the best Pils, but I'm happy to have one... Wasn't a fan of the Cream Stout but haven't had one in probably 15 years... Others I have had weren't memorable one way or the other. I will keep drinking Boston Lager and Double Bock for sure

I bought a sixer of Latitude 48 IPA just the other day. I had tried it at a brewfest up here a year ago, and remembered it as a balanced IPA. Obviously I was too shnockered to taste anything, as I am having to work through these beers.
Colby Jack

I bought a sixer of Latitude 48 IPA just the other day. I had tried it at a brewfest up here a year ago, and remembered it as a balanced IPA. Obviously I was too shnockered to taste anything, as I am having to work through these beers.
Colby Jack

I found the Lat 48 to be less than inspiring myself, honestly I forgot I had even bought a 6 about 9 months to a year ago... I don't remember hating it, but I am sure I never did more than one bottle at a go

I've recently begun to think the same about Sam Adams. Their Brewer's Choice variety pack was a huge let down. The Boston Lagers (Seriously, Jim has hitched his wagon tot hat one super hard) were OK, as was the Whitewater IPA, but I had to choke down 8 other tie-one-on quality beers to empty the case. Good thing that $4 rebate just came in the mail. Between that and the 12 bottles, it almost made it worthwhile.

Something about most of thier beers, they all have a similar taste that I'm not much of a fan of. I do however like thier cream stout and a couple others.

Love their Octoberfest, Boston Lager, and Irish Red. The latest Long Shot pack had one called dark night in Munich I loved it. Gotta hand it to Sam Adams/Jim Koch. They keep coming up with contests that appeal to the homebrewer community. They often have tastings at the brewery in Boston and keep inviting me. +1

I do like some of their beers and will continue to buy the ones I like by the case, I am done buying their variety pack, I only ever like 2 maybe 3 and the rest stay in the fridge till I am desperate enough to drink them.

I really like their Double Bock and Octoberfest, and the Cream Stout is decent. But I have to say, the rest (especially the newer stuff) is pretty hit and miss. But a big +1 to reusing the bottles!

I went to BU, so I spent almost five years in Boston. I was reared on Sam.

That being said, I can't stand the stuff now. At least, not out of bottle. Tap isn't bad, but neither options are as good as they used to be "back in the day."

Have you tried any of the small batch series?They are... well... above average at least,at least i think.I like a few of them,it just seems i notice salt in them more than most beers,not bad though.The east-west kolsh wasnt bad for a lighter ale, i enjoyed the spring beer.

I've got a Thirteenth Hour in my fridge. Has anyone tried that one yet? I had stopped at a good sized packie looking for a couple of research beers, but they mostly had wine. The SA on the checkout counter seemed the most promising beer in the store. I'm trying to find good examples of styles I'd like to brew, so if anyone's got a review, I'd appreciate the info.

I've got a Thirteenth Hour in my fridge. Has anyone tried that one yet? I had stopped at a good sized packie looking for a couple of research beers, but they mostly had wine. The SA on the checkout counter seemed the most promising beer in the store. I'm trying to find good examples of styles I'd like to brew, so if anyone's got a review, I'd appreciate the info.

I should have got The 13th Hour but instead purchased New World Tripel, which was not too bad but at 10% a bit too much for just myself, I did finish it however, the hockey game went into OT. Let me know how you like 13th because I really want to try that one but will find a friend to split the $12 bottle with next time...

I am a huge fan of Sam and have been to the brewery 7x.

I just buy the ones I like. Boston Lager if that's the only craft beer on the menu, Winter Lager, and I liked the Alpine Spring.

For me, trying a new flavor is kind of risky. You never know if it's going to be good or not.

Jim Koch did a lot to bring back craft brewing in the US. I still pay respect by enjoying plenty of Sam Adams. The brand was born and is still mostly made in Cincinnati, which I appreciate as well.

Last evening, I was in a pub in the Atlanta airport and enjoyed a Sam Adams Cherry Wheat (light, simple, refreshing) and an IPA, which I thought was delicious. Am glad that a quality craft beer is widely distributed.

Jim Koch did a lot to bring back craft brewing in the US. I still pay respect by enjoying plenty of Sam Adams. The brand was born and is still mostly made in Cincinnati, which I appreciate as well.

A lot to bring back craft brewing, as well as a lot to support other craft breweries; remember during the hop crisis, when prices shot up about four- or five-fold (and a lot of varieties simply were unavailable), when they sold some of their inventories to other breweries at cost?

They've also been massively supportive of the homebrew community, through the Longshot and Patriot homebrew competitions (how often have you heard homebrewing promoted during an NFL game?)

Some of their beers are terrible, some are mediocre... but there's a lot of very good stuff, too. The Black Lager is awesome, and I love the Noble Pils. Their Oktoberfest is very good. The traditional Boston Lager is solid. I like the Summer Ale. I liked the Barrelhouse series Kriek.

They aren't necessarily "best in style," but they make a lot of very good beer. I just don't necessarily think of them when I want something that's real hoppy, or "domestic-hoppy" specifically. That's just not really their thing, it seems, but there are plenty of other breweries who do IPAs exceptionally well.

I just picked up a long shot sixer and can't wait to try them. SA introduced me to beers that aren't light American lagers. I started to like craft beer because of them. Sure they tend to aim for lower flavor, easy drinking beers but that's what got me into beer in the first place. If you want inventive or in your face beer look elsewhere.

Boston Lager, Cream Stout, Summer Ale, Black Lager, Wee Heavy, Old Fezziwig, not to mention the best Light Lager I have ever had. Sam Adams broke my craft brew cherry back in 2006 with Cherry Wheat - the first time I realized there was something more than Miller Light. Not a huge fan of Cherry Wheat now, but damn - that was a turning point in my life. Beer CAN BE something else! And damn, it is good.

Wondering if anyone has tried the Norse Legend? A coworker gave me one, but i've been unable to try it yet, i'll report back when I can.

I picked up the IPA pack they just put out, don't remember the name of it, but I haven't been too impressed. Grumpy Monk is awesome, but the others aren't all that memorable. They need to put out Grumpy Monk by itself.

I loved that sixer of the longshot winners. I think the five crown imperial stout is the best I've ever had. It might not be a SA recipe but it sure is brewed well. I don't think srm can even be used to describe how dark it is.

I picked up the IPA pack they just put out, don't remember the name of it, but I haven't been too impressed. Grumpy Monk is awesome, but the others aren't all that memorable. They need to put out Grumpy Monk by itself.

"Hopology". And I thought it was the best mixed half-case they've ever done. I enjoyed all six brews..

Cheers!

Wondering if anyone has tried the Norse Legend? A coworker gave me one, but i've been unable to try it yet, i'll report back when I can.

I liked it ive had better junipers but its pretty good. :tank:

Born and raised in suburbs of Boston, Sam was what got me into drinking/brewing beer. I was lucky enough to have a friend invite me to the shareholders meeting a month ago. It was an interesting experience and they opened the tap room and a few bottles of Utopia for us. As others have said, they do a lot for the homebrew community in general and I think its a great thing for such a large company. You don't see that much more nowadays.

Have you tried anything from their brewmaster's collection? I think those compare much more favorably to other craft brews.

Best thing about Sam Adams is I can reliably get it at airports, hotel lobbies etc around the USA.. It is my fall back beer.

cyclogenesis said:
Best thing about Sam Adams is I can reliably get it at airports, hotel lobbies etc around the USA.. It is my fall back beer.

Ditto.
They are not my favorite brewery, but I can get one at whatever random place I'm in. I say it's the best widely available beer

+1 I really liked it. First beer I've tried with juniper berries and really piqued my interest.

Try Rogues Juniper Pale Ale if you havent yet,i seemed to like it more than the beer raters did.In fact that beer inspired me to want to brew one,which mine turned out pretty good as well.:mug::mug:

I had their Summer seasonal last week and it was only mediocre, to say the least. I wouldn't buy any SA again anytime soon either.

Tried their spring lager as that and the boston lager seen to be the only sam beer available here in nova scotia, loved it. Went back a couple weeks later and they were giving away those nice sam adams glasses with a 6 pack, so naturally I had to buy a 24 to get a set of glasses. Got 12 spring and 12 boston. beer tasted incredibly skunky, oh well got glasses and bottles are great for brewing.

Back