Sam Adams Summer Ale **barf**

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joeybeer

Reaction score
This is one of only two commercial beers i've ever poured out..
I'm very openminded and will drink most anything (when fishing, Pabst,Miller Light, even Milwaukees Best) , but Sam Adams Summer Ale .. I can not choke down.. does anyone like this stuff ??

SWMBO picked up a 6er a week ago at the grocery store and i have had a couple. I am a fan of Sam Adams beers but this one i did not care for either. I didn't pour it out but it was not very good IMHO. I guess even the pros make a no-so-good-beer every once in a while...

Somebody commented on here that they switched up the recipe and I seem to remember it being a lot better than it is now. I had trouble sharing a pitcher of it playing volleyball the other day, horrible bitter rind taste

I would have to agree. Just had 2 at the bar and was regretting not going for a bass. Still better then shocktop or BMC on tap I guess. Disappointing...

Its never been one if my favorite beers, in fact I don't like most SA beers in general, but I always thought their summer ale to be decent and would usually buy at least one sixer every summer. Bit this year I've hears nothing but bad things. Maybe they changed the recipe.

I used to enjoy these in the summer but hadn't had them in probably 3 or 4 years. I bought the SA summer sampler about a month ago and my first thought with the Summer Ale was it tasted way different than it used to..and not in a good way. I'm not a huge fan of SA for the most part but I did enjoy a few of their seasonals, now I'm not so sure.

I dunno I had it on draft last night and kind of liked it. Its got a lot more flavor then most of these run of the mill "Summer" beers. It might be a bit spicy for some people but I really liked the ginger taste in it

From St. Louis area... went to go pick up another sixer from the local liquor store, and asked for the Schlafly Summer Helles Lager... they brought up a Sam Adams Summer... so glad I caught the mistake.

Somebody commented on here that they switched up the recipe and I seem to remember it being a lot better than it is now. I had trouble sharing a pitcher of it playing volleyball the other day, horrible bitter rind taste

two guns where do you play volleyball... lol, i play three times a week.... i didnt hink it was that bad but defiantly different from last year..

What i noticed from last year... more dry... more spicy (grains of paradise) less lemon flavor... im still up in the air until i buy more.. im on the verge of liking it alot or hating it.

Didn't like it the first time I Tried it a few years ago. Had it served to me at a wedding last year without knowing what it was, and liked it. Picked up a six last weekend and enjoyed it, even warm. Gotta go with "like it".

My wife & I have has a few 6'rs of it. Some batches do seem to be different,albeit slightly. I like the batch that comes out a bit malty,just a little. I can't remember off hand if other flavors were present.
Over all,though,it reminds me of my first light colored ale,with some flavor hops,maybe something else? Might try making some in the future...?

This year it does taste different. I just had it on tap and I complained To tge bartender that I thought the lines were dirty because it tasted funny( actually a bit yeasty) Tried it at another bar and it still tasted weird.

This would make sense to me because I remember a year or two ago trying it out and thinking it was great. I recently bought a six pack, chasing the memory I had of the once-great-tasting beer, only to be disappointed by the change of flavors. It seems crisper with more of a spice to it these days, and not nearly as well rounded as I remember it being. I, too, felt like pouring it down the drain.

...And then I remembered I spent like $8 or $9 dollars on it and choked it down.

I'm finishing a 12er thats left of my clone. I switched it up a little and it taste like it used too.(Not so lemomy) Austin Homebrew has a kit thats real close to the old version too. I heard they replaced their head brewmaster a few years ago.

Latest posts

Back