Sam Adams is alright

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thrstyunderwater

Reaction score
About 2 months ago I got a 24 pack of Sammy's Boston Lager. 2 of the bottles were flat. I got on their website and filled out the form reporting what happened. I hadn't heard anything till today:

Dear Pat,

I was very sorry to hear about the problem you recently encountered with my Samuel Adams Boston Lager. You mentioned that some of the beers were flat. Perhaps I can offer an explanation.

Teh problem was likely due to a defective or missing liner in the bottle caps. The liner on the underside of the cap is designed to create a tight seal between the cap and the bottle. If the liner is off-center or incomplete, C02 will escape, thereby making the beer flat or off.

I am happy to say that this is quite a rare occurrence. The quality control tests performed at both our bottle cap manufacturer and our breweries are quite rigorous. Unfortunately, our control over the process is not perfect.

Thank you for being our first line of defense. I'm closing a refund and I hope that you'll give my beer another chance.

Cheers,

Jim Koch (actually signed his name)
Brewer

This is pretty badass. They sent me this letter and a $30.00 check. I can't ask for anything else. Makes me feel all warm and fuzzy, especially since I'm gonna buy another case of beer with it.

hmmm..i got a case of the winter sampler pack thing, and the boston lager had skunked quite a bit, maybe i should report it.

That's awesome. I'm glad they really stand behind their product like that. I hope you use the check to buy more sam adams.

One thing about Sam Adams is that it's a good company. Not the best beer in the world...and they (Sam Adams) don't pretend it is either. Good people and a good beer...

Sam Adams is my go to beer at bars and stores that don't carry craft. Everyone carries at least SOME Sam Adams.

Don't think there's too many companies around that will create a (presumably) unique response to an issue and have someone actually sign it...

That's great service! I like a lot of Sam Adam's beers, though some are not my taste. They do a great service for the craft beer industry (anyone remember their at-cost hop selloff during the shortage?)

New Belgium did the same for me, too. Even threw in a t shirt and stickers. I don't think Bud would have!
Support your quasi-ginormous craft-inspired breweries!

One thing about Sam Adams is that it's a good company. Not the best beer in the world...and they (Sam Adams) don't pretend it is either.

I wouldn't go this far. Their commercials suggest otherwise to me. This award that award, had never tasted an american beer with so much flavor blah blah. They're pretty darn "proud" of their product. But, seems like a great company.

About 2 months ago I got a 24 pack of Sammy's Boston Lager. 2 of the bottles were flat. I got on their website and filled out the form reporting what happened. I hadn't heard anything till today:

Dear Pat,

I was very sorry to hear about the problem you recently encountered with my Samuel Adams Boston Lager. You mentioned that some of the beers were flat. Perhaps I can offer an explanation.

Teh problem was likely due to a defective or missing liner in the bottle caps. The liner on the underside of the cap is designed to create a tight seal between the cap and the bottle. If the liner is off-center or incomplete, C02 will escape, thereby making the beer flat or off.

I am happy to say that this is quite a rare occurrence. The quality control tests performed at both our bottle cap manufacturer and our breweries are quite rigorous. Unfortunately, our control over the process is not perfect.

Thank you for being our first line of defense. I'm closing a refund and I hope that you'll give my beer another chance.

Cheers,

Jim Koch (actually signed his name)
Brewer

This is pretty badass. They sent me this letter and a $30.00 check. I can't ask for anything else. Makes me feel all warm and fuzzy, especially since I'm gonna buy another case of beer with it.

Pretty dern'd cool. :rockin:

Jim Koch seems like an awesome guy. He's just one of those people that you can tell is down-to-earth and very passionate about what he does.

That's great of him to send the letter and check.

Sam Adams beers aren't always the most complex, but they are the perfect gateway to craft beer. They are often a bit mild than others because they market to such a larger audience. I can honestly say I haven't had a Sam Adams that I disliked.

I really like the way Sam Adams does the long shot competition once a year. Makes me feel that they don't want to lose touch with the craft brew world. Good for Sam Adams!

Hmmm...

Buy Beer.

Consume beer.

Report defective beer.

Receive $30.00.

I think I just found my Christmas budget for this year. :cross:

Seriously...pretty darn good beer...pretty awesome response to a customers feedback. Plus...they do more to further the acceptance and proliferation of craft and homebrewers than any mega-swill outfit will ever do.

budweiser is also extreemly proud of their product. Ever done a brewery tour. They make you roud to drink that bud at the end. Also usualy have craftier beers they make that dont sell as well. They know their market and they nail it on the head

New Belgium did the same for me, too. Even threw in a t shirt and stickers. I don't think Bud would have!
Support your quasi-ginormous craft-inspired breweries!

I was in Fort Collins (hometown of New Belgium) on business once and was having a few Fat Tire at the hotel one night, when I noticed that the brew date on the bottle was like 6 months old. Seemed to me a travesty that a local hotel would have such old stock and still serve it. So I sent an quick email to the brewery just to give them a heads up. They immediately thanked me and asked for my address. When I got home there were several t-shirts and hats waiting for me -- very cool indeed.

That's great service! I like a lot of Sam Adam's beers, though some are not my taste. They do a great service for the craft beer industry (anyone remember their at-cost hop selloff during the shortage?)

Amen, brother. This bears repeating.....so I am. Imagine Budweiser/Miller/Coors/Network 23/Zik-Zak Corporation doing this, let alone signing anything. Sam may be a pretty big outfit, but I regard them as part of the craft/micro/homebrew community. Judge by actions.

I had heard about Jim buying back out of date beer. This is just great to hear that kind of service from a bigger craft beer line. Rock on.

I think the culture of this company really comes from the top, Jim Koch. There is no doubt this man loves beer. And he wants to share this love with all other beer drinkers and strives to make sure whoever drinks a Sam Adams, has a great experience doing so. This is the way he made the company successful and continues this philosophy and culture even today. Tough to maintain, especially as big as they have gotten. I think I'll have to have a Sam Adams soon and toast to a true beer legend. I see the winter lager is out...

I like most of Sam Adams beers and Boston Larger was my first craft beer I had in the 80's.
Jim Koch is a stand up guy and does a lot for the home brewing community. I am glad to see him stand by his product.

I've always liked their beer too. I was kind of impressed when I saw (and watched) Jim's video's on how to homebrew beer out there on You tube. A selfish kind of cat wouldn't do that because, even though homebrewers may buy his beer to get bottles, he has to know every homebrewed beer is one who won't be a SA sale.

Sam Adams is has the most variety of high quality beers of any nationally distributed brand. You really can't fault them for being a bigger company considering Jim Koch brewed the first batch of Boston Lager in his garage. I recently had the pleasure of taking a brewery tour in their original location in Jamaica Plains, MA. Great experience, entertaining and informative, got to try 3 beers and got a free 7oz tasting glass.

Definitely a company I would expect to stand behind their product, clearly passionate about their beer, and if you've seen one of their recent commercials, they say that nearly all of their employees brew their own at home, i.e. they only hire real beer lovers. Very cool company that produces great stuff and a great alternative to BMC.

Wow, I was having a conversation about customer service in the US. The person I was talking to was basically arguing that it didn't exists, and I had few examples of when I had received great customer service. I'll have to bring this up.

It is very, very, cool when companies go out of their way to help you with a product. You have to respect the companies that do.

I had a question about a yeast they used a couple weeks ago so I sent an e-mail to them. the following day at work I recieved a phonecall from an unknown number on my cell. I answer and here it is someone (not Jim though) from SA calling me to tell me about their yeast strains, when they bought them, what yeast they think I should use and even how to make the beer in question (their hefe) more like a hefe. he said to me on the phone that most of their beers are brewed "lighter" for the general consumer compared to how he would brew it. Very cool indeed.
Tom

Thats an awesome letter, frame it! Think what it will be worth to your grandkids perhaps =)

*Jim Koch started as a home brewer with his grandfathers recipe he found in the attic.

Very cool. It's seems I've read several post where someone (if not Jim Koch himself) as either called, emailed, or written someone to discuss a problem or question. Definitely sounds like a company that hasn't forgot it's/his roots. Cheers to SA!!

I had a question about a yeast they used a couple weeks ago so I sent an e-mail to them. the following day at work I recieved a phonecall from an unknown number on my cell. I answer and here it is someone (not Jim though) from SA calling me to tell me about their yeast strains, when they bought them, what yeast they think I should use and even how to make the beer in question (their hefe) more like a hefe. he said to me on the phone that most of their beers are brewed "lighter" for the general consumer compared to how he would brew it. Very cool indeed.
Tom

Wow, that's cool as well.

Someone once told me that everyone that works for Sam Adams -- including accountants and other "office" workers -- has to learn to homebrew.

The Sam Adams guys are definitely good guys. I had a good experience with them as well and they really do support homebrewers. I would love to have a letter like that.

I started brewing a few years ago because of those Long shot home brewing contest commericals.

And because I wanted to make great beer.

I wouldn't go this far. Their commercials suggest otherwise to me. This award that award, had never tasted an american beer with so much flavor blah blah. They're pretty darn "proud" of their product. But, seems like a great company.

Well, it is advertising. That's sort of the point.

I was in Fort Collins (hometown of New Belgium) on business once and was having a few Fat Tire at the hotel one night, when I noticed that the brew date on the bottle was like 6 months old. Seemed to me a travesty that a local hotel would have such old stock and still serve it. So I sent an quick email to the brewery just to give them a heads up. They immediately thanked me and asked for my address. When I got home there were several t-shirts and hats waiting for me -- very cool indeed.

Whe I started planning to upsize my brewing I send New Belgium an e-mail. Basically, it said "Can I buy a couple of decommissioned kegs from you?"

A couple of weeks later, I got a call from the brewery. They invited me to stop by and pick up a couple of kegs. I still brew in them.

I think people are being a little tough on Sam Adams in terms of quality of beer. I am a big craft beer fan, and try lots of things. I am not a fan of all Sam Adams stuff, but I actually think Boston Lager is a truly great beer. In fact, if I had to limit myself to drinking only 5 beers for the rest of my life, Boston Lager would get some consideration. I am not crazy about everything they make (I hate cherry wheat, and I think the Irish Red is boring), but I really like both the Octoberfest and the Winter Lager. Just my opinion-- it isn't just that they have good service. I think they make some great beer.

I work at the SA Boston Brewery here in Jamaica Plain, and I've gotta say that it's great to see a thread like this.

BBC is a great company to work for and they really do excellent things for the homebrew community. On a personal note, Jim Koch is as authentic and genuine in person as he seems through his letters or TV spots.

Plus-- we get 2 free cases per month of any style of Sam Adams- a nice perk if I don't say so myself!

The only beer I will never drink from the Sam Adams line is the cherry wheat....that is by far the worst beer I hae ever tasted. Aside from that all of the Sam Adams line is very tasty and I think what Mr Koch did in this situation is very stand up and awesome.....enjoying a boston lager as I type.

Back