Sam Adams does it again

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ETCS

Reaction score
Was at a work Christmas party the other day, and at the gift swap I won a bottle of SA's Infinium. Brought it home, put in the wine fridge, chilled over night. Tried it last night.....tasted like crap.
Had such high hopes, especially since they partnered with Weihenstephaner to make it. Anyone else try this stuff.

Ya I shared a bottle with friends last week. It wasn't terrible but better belgian strongs can be had for less

I havnt found a SA beer that I liked. Their best ones just taste ok.

Don't get me wrong, SA does make some good beers. Including some that you can only get in Boston or at the brewery. I've been up there several times, always a good time in the beer garden.

In general, I like SA brews. But I'm not a fan of the Infinium.
As for collaborative brews, I have a couple bottles of Life & Limb that will be opened tonight.

Ive just seen this ,its the big bulbous bottle right? I think with red foil. After the bottle shop owner described to me what it was,i was like nah.I had my hands full with SA new bombers the vixen, and double ipa, along with Stones double bastard and a vertical epic(dont think ill make it to 12-12-12 to drink it although i may buy another to age). All brand new ones for me.
I did think the SA red imperial was pretty good, a bit salty though. Im indifferent about a lot of their stuff,and am not really a fan of them. I see that Sierra Nevada is coming out with a Rye Ipa in January-looking forward to that.

I saw the DFH stout at Bundy's Beverage the other day,but I can't remember the name on the 750ml bottle. $12 I think.

Ive just seen this ,its the big bulbous bottle right?

Yep. looks like this:

infinium.jpg

Was at a work Christmas party the other day, and at the gift swap I won a bottle of SA's Infinium. Brought it home, put in the wine fridge, chilled over night. Tried it last night.....tasted like crap.
Had such high hopes, especially since they partnered with Weihenstephaner to make it. Anyone else try this stuff.

It's just bad... Which at this point I've come to expect from the Boston beer co.

As for collaborative brews, I have a couple bottles of Life & Limb that will be opened tonight.

Don't get your hopes up. I had a bomber of that a couple weeks ago, couldn't bring myself to finish the glass. Admittedly, it wasn't a beer I'd usually go for, but I rarely quit on a beer if it's well made, even if I don't particularly care for it. This one I dumped halfway through. :mad:

jpietraski said:
In general, I like SA brews. But I'm not a fan of the Infinium.

Love life n limb!

I couldn't even come close to finishing it. Gave it to my wife's uncle who will drink just about anything, because as he puts it,

"Will it get me drunk?',
Me: "Yes Cliff it sure will"
Cliff: "I'll take it."

disappointing. I've been looking to grab a bottle somewhere.

maybe I should just buy a holiday pack and drink the Black and brew and chocolate bock for New Years.

I tried last year's and thought it was a fine beer. Not great, but not horrible either. But with the hype and the price, I was expecting great. Was this year's version the same recipe? Or was this something new?

disappointing. I've been looking to grab a bottle somewhere.

maybe I should just buy a holiday pack and drink the Black and brew and chocolate bock for New Years.

We've been disappointed in pretty much every SA beer lately, bought the holiday box to give them one last chance to redeem themselves. The Chocobock/Black and Brew were really tasty - would love to buy them in 6'ers. Old Fezziwig was decent, not great. Winter Lager is still meh, and the Boston Lager seemed watery.

I still have mine from last year. Im going to open it on new years eve. Let's see how it tastes with over a year of age on it.

I think people expect to much from Infinium. It is a light Pilsner made champagne style. Not quite beer and not quite champagne, to me that suggests a strange baby right from the start. I have had it and in place of champagne I felt it was not bad when had very cold and in champagne flutes. I could not imagine having a pint of it...

We've been disappointed in pretty much every SA beer lately, bought the holiday box to give them one last chance to redeem themselves. The Chocobock/Black and Brew were really tasty - would love to buy them in 6'ers. Old Fezziwig was decent, not great. Winter Lager is still meh, and the Boston Lager seemed watery.

As for the specialty beers like the Campfire Rauch, Choco Bock and Black + Brew, IMO that is the only way they can push the rest of their beer. It just floors me that they can make beer that good and then simply fall short on the rest of them. To me it screams "Hey beer nerd! buy this 2 or 4 pack (depending on the pack) of beer for $15 and you get to have these other beers free." IMO $15 for a 4 pack of non-Imperial beer is robbery and for only 2, doubley so. Last year the QA folks for the Choco bock were on vacation, some bottles were great and some were just "meh". I decided I was all done rolling the dice when I paid $15 for 1 decent beer and 11 "meh" beers. YMMV.

SA will always hold a special place to me but I really do not go out of my way to get any anymore but I may stop and grab an Infinium for New Years...

I got talked into a buying a bottle last year. Never again.

Overall, I've been disappointed with collaborations. Too many of them are a mess and expensive.
I've had one really excellent collaboration beer, and that was Poppaskull, between Dogfish Head and 3 Floyds. But in general, I agree that most collaborations I've had aren't worth what you end up paying for them.

SA will always hold a special place to me but I really do not go out of my way to get any anymore.

This latest holiday mix-pack was mostly crap as has been stated. Black and Brew being the only exception. Old Fezziwig used to be awesome as was the Cranberry Lambic, but I haven't seen the Cranberry Lambic in ages.

A local Irish pub used to serve Cranberry Lambic in a black and tan which was the shiznit.

Now I just buy a mixed 12 4x per year

all the hating on SA? damn. my taste buds must be pretty effed. granted they do make some beers that i don't like, but they are always a solid choice in a bar that doesn't offer much variety. i'm drinking the infinium now and its pretty good to me. not earth shattering, but good enough to finish. as far as getting inconsistant bottles i'm also at a loss. there beers have always been really consistant for me. could it be the area i'm in? i hope my taste buds aren't to blame :(

Yes... but is it as bad as that horrific cranberry "lambic" they did last year?

Not saying I'm gonna pony up and buy a bottle of the Infinium (um.. "no thanks") but the lambic WAS pretty bad.

i didnt like the cherry wheat either, but the infinum doesn't fall into that category for me. also doesn't hurt that i payed 12 dollars for it. i keep seeing that others payed almost twenty!!

A Facebook friend of mine recently bought a bottle of Infinium, and everyone on his Facebook was responding to me comment asking if it was worth the price tag or not. All of them claimed it was really really good. I do not know any of those people.

Personally, after reading this thread, I am glad it wasn't gifted to me or I am glad I didn't choose to buy it.

It goes to show you that a rare release and high price tag will lure in even the most experienced beer connoisseur. I would rather buy some Old Rasputin or some Stone.

i don't know that i will buy it again. (because of the price) but i might. it was decent... and i feel awesome after drinking it.

Yes... but is it as bad as that horrific cranberry "lambic" they did last year?

Not saying I'm gonna pony up and buy a bottle of the Infinium (um.. "no thanks") but the lambic WAS pretty bad.

The Cranberry pseudo-lambic has always been decent enough for me.

By far the worst SA beer I have had was the Double Bock. Blech.

I'm just done with BBC. I've just been disappointed too often lately with their offerings. I don't know what it is, but the last few times I had their beers, all I could think is that they've started cheaping out on ingredients

Back