Saison yeast question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joshua1987

Reaction score
I'm looking for a good yeast to brew my first saison. The funkier the better, however I've heard multiple stories of some brews taking 3 months to finish up when ppl used Wyeast 3724...any thoughts? Granted I live in pittsburgh and it's 20 degrees outside now....keeping a beer in the 80s doesn't seem likely, I'm curious what my options may be..thanks

Some season yeasts will ferment, go quite , and start up again (3724, 565) but I have not heard of 3 mons.

I like the WY3711 and ferment starting at 62F and finish at 74F. I usually ferment for 3weeks.

Look into a cheap tub you can sit the fermenter in and fill with water and an aquarium heater to hold your higher temps. Then you can play with the temps and see what kind of funk you can get.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

3724 does produce a very good flavor. However, it does need some heat to help it finish. I have never had it take 3 months to finissh. Your best option if you want to use 3724 is to get a big tub or a cooler. fill it with water and use an aquarium heater to get the temp up. I use an Aqueon Pro 150 and I can get the temps up to the mid to high 80's in my 60 degree basement.

There are a couple of other saison yeasts that are a little easier to use. 3711 will work down into the high 60's and still finish very low. The flavor is not as good as 3724 (IMO) but it does make a good saison. Belle Saison is a newer dry yeast that also is not a temp sensitive as 3724. I find the flavor a little spicier than 3711, but not as good as 3724. It still produces a very good saison.

I've heard of people throwing in so S05 or 3711 to finish the job. My understanding is that the initial ferment from 3724 sets the flavors and the other yeasts do the rest of fermentation without imparting flavor. I have a pack of 3724 I got on clearance at an LHBS so my plan is to pitch and then finish with some t58 if need be.

Look into a cheap tub you can sit the fermenter in and fill with water and an aquarium heater to hold your higher temps. Then you can play with the temps and see what kind of funk you can get.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Absolutely agree on this. Fermwrap was always such a pain in the ass to use, and I've had absolutely no regrets since switching to an aquarium heater.

Back