Saison question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wags13

Reaction score
Hey all, at what point in the boil should I add my dried bitter orange peel, to a Belgian saison? 5.5 gallon all grain batch with 1 oz each kent goldings and styrian goldings. 1/4 at 60, 1/4 at 30 and 1/2 at 12 min.?
Thanks!!

Thanks

Treat it just like hops. If you want flavor, last 15 is good. If you want aroma, last couple of minutes. I'm with MachineShopBrewing, and add mine at 10 minutes, as you get a little of both.

+1 *for 10 minutes. I add them at 10 min too along with the spices (coriander, etc)

Don't boil them too long or you'll lose flavor (from what I heard)

Cheers!

Thanks everyone. Went with a 1/2 oz. orange peel addition at 10. Might add some to the secondary depending on how the first taste goes.

With an original of 1.072 and wyeast French Saison yeast, she is very vigorously fermenting as I write this. Exciting stuff. Looking forward to this one, not for a few months though!

Cheers

That might end up being a pretty big beer if the 3711 does what it usually does and finishes low.

That's gonna be a tasty super saison for sure with that yeast. Expect 90ish apparent attenuation.

wags13 said:
Thanks everyone. Went with a 1/2 oz. orange peel addition at 10. Might add some to the secondary depending on how the first taste goes.

With an original of 1.072 and wyeast French Saison yeast, she is very vigorously fermenting as I write this. Exciting stuff. Looking forward to this one, not for a few months though!

Cheers

Why a few months? While it will change over time, my 3711 Saisons are ready to drink about 20-24 days after brew day. I've medaled twice with <6 weeks from brew day. Not saying you have to hurry, but if your process is sound you needn't wait for months! Of course, some disagree and YMMV. Just my two cents,

Latest posts

Back