Saison fermentation temps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gratefuldisc

Reaction score
I have a saison in primary for three days now. Using wyeast 3711. pitched at 75 with the intent to hold it there for a day before raising to 80, but temp fell to 68 for twelve hours due to my aquarium heater (in a swamp cooler setup) not working. I got it working and raised back to 75 for another twelve hours. I then raised to 80 and held it there for two days. my question is, how long should I hold the high temps? a couple days, until fermentation is complete, or for the full 3-4 weeks I typically primary before kegging?

At this point, I wouldn't change the temp anymore. You've had a lot of drastic swings already and that can be hard on the yeast.

Don't worry. 3711 will chew through any thing. I think it started to ferment my spoon the last time I used it.

not worried (also having a homebrew...) just wondering when temp control doesn't really matter anymore.

I just brewed a 8 gallon batch of saison using both wyeast belgian saison strain and the french strain (4 gallons each). I kept mine at 80* for 3 weeks. Both strains fermented nicely. I bottled the belgian strain yesterday and the sample from the bottling bucket was very nice. I say keep monitoring its progress. If the yeast slow down to much then crank it up to 80.

well, my saison held at 83 for 3 days while actively fermenting... after that it settled down to 80 and stayed there for 4 more days. I took my gravity reading 1.002 at 80 degrees! Krausen had fallen and it's already starting to clear. meanwhile, my aquarium heater quit again and temp fell to 68... at this point, I'm going to leave it, as Chshrcat recommended.

Latest posts

Back