Saison critique, please. Thinking about adding some oak.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Supertrapped

Reaction score
So, I'm probably brewing this tomorrow or Saturday. I have 2 ounces of Hungarian medium toast oak sitting around. I figured since I'm using Nelson Sauvin hops, which are wine-like hops, the oak could be a nice addition if I just steamed them and tossed in secondary for a week or two. Thoughts?

5.5gal
Est OG 1.062
Est IBU 35

8lbs pilsner (bel)
2lbs Vienna
1lbs Munich
.5 lbs wheat, flaked
1lb clear candi sugar

.3oz Nelson @ 60
.7oz Nelson @ 30
1oz Nelson @ 5

.5oz crushed coriander @ 10

3711 yeast

Mash at 148-150 for 75min
Boil for 75min

Looks like a pretty good recipe, the oak will be a nice touch to go along with the hops. The only thing you might want to consider is bumping up your boil to 90 min just to make sure you burn off any DMS. I know your not using a whole lot of pils malt but better safe than sorry.

I think that looks very solid. What temperature are you fermenting at? I do all my saisons starting at mid 60s, let free rise, then ramp up to 90. If you dont have a heater setup, you can always put your best winter coat around the fermentor. Looks funny and helps insulate the heat

I've never had any problems with DMS using pilsner. I think its one of those things that used to be a major concern but now we have better quality ingredients. I use pils as a base for like half of my batches and even done 100% pils. All 60min boil, no DMS

Yeah, the higher the better with saisons. I can get them up to the mid 80s with my winter jacket wrapped around the fermentor. I actually have a Belgian Tripel wearing my jacket at home right now...

I use a rope tub / aquarium heater setup for my saisons to get them into the 90s

Yeah, the higher the better with saisons. I can get them up to the mid 80s with my winter jacket wrapped around the fermentor. I actually have a Belgian Tripel wearing my jacket at home right now...

I use a rope tub / aquarium heater setup for my saisons to get them into the 90s

Well, I haven't ever ramped up 3711 past 80. I have a couple times with 3724 though. Maybe I'll try this time around.

Just a heads up your beer will be about 0 FG (totally okay for style) with that mash temp

Well, just brewed this today. Threw it in the fermenter an hour ago. I guess we'll see how she goes :D

Latest posts

Back