Saison Bottle Conditioning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hamsterbite

Reaction score
So, is it typical for Saisons to take longer to carb than other ales? Mine took a little over three weeks. I had sampled a couple on weeks 1 & 2 and they weren't even close, weak carb and too sweet. 25 days was the magic number, now they are perfect! Nice and dry with a lasting three finger head.

So, is it typical for Saisons to take longer to carb than other ales? Mine took a little over three weeks. I had sampled a couple on weeks 1 & 2 and they weren't even close, weak carb and too sweet. 25 days was the magic number, now they are perfect! Nice and dry with a lasting three finger head.

my saisons typically carb fully in about 1 week. (but then again I also have them at 75-80 degree ambient temps and use about 6 - 7 ounces of table sugar for priming

These conditioned at about 78 with 1 conditioning tab per 12 oz bottle. There was a noticeable amount of residual co2 in the beer prior to bottling, so it actually seems to be carbed on the high end of the spectrum now. That seems to suit this beer quite well. I hit 6.9 ABV with this one, and I though for sure on day three that the funk this thing was putting off was a sure sign of contamination.
A slight amount of that off phenolic taste still existed before they fully conditioned. It's not there at all now. Amazing what a little time can do.

Mine carb up in about a week, but still taste green until about the 2.5 week point. A green saison is NOT a delicious beer, so I don't even bother trying them till 3 or 4 weeks in the bottle now.

Back