Safbrew T-58

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevinb

Reaction score
What kind of experience do you have with Safbrew T-58? What do you get for apparent attenuation? What alcohol tolerance does it have?

Thanks in advance

im pitching two packs tomorrow into a belgian red ipa.
plan to ferment at 67 for a few days, then self rise to 71. lots of pepper, fruit notes. it's a decent dry yeast.
*edit: didn't end up brewing, so it will be a couple weeks till i can post results. i have read commentary calling it a true belgian style yeast. im hoping this does not mean i'll get banana and bubble gum esters and phenols.. etc. maybe i'll ferment a little lower?

slym2none - I did see the spec sheet. I was hoping to hear what people were actually getting.

I've used it many times and love it. It's very consistent. I get low-70's attenuation each time and i like that the flavor profile is more rounded and less intense than the WPL565 (although when i used the 565 i allowed the temperature to free-rise to a much higher ~85F).

Edit: Also, the highest OG I used the T58 for was 1.063 and had no issues.

What kind of experience do you have with Safbrew T-58? What do you get for apparent attenuation? What alcohol tolerance does it have?

Lots and lots of people on homebrewtalk have posted about T-58.

(Attenuation depends on other factors like mash temperature, so numbers may vary)

I've only used it once, and it was before I had temp control. I just had it sitting in a room with ambients around 65. The thing is such a beast, and my og was so high, that it got way too warm. It can easily make way too many fusels (the yeast will clean up some, but not too much). So I personally wouldn't use it if you don't have temp control.

I have a batch that is 8 days into primary as we speak. After nearly 80 batches of homebrew, this was my first experience with dry yeast. 1.077 to 1.006 in 5 days, which = ~92% AA and 9.4% ABV. I mashed low and the recipe includes 1 lb of simple sugar (not in original recipe) to improve attenuation. I rehydrated one packet and upon pitching, I dosed the wort with pure O2 for 1 minute. Pitched around 68, let rise naturally to 77, and held there until day 5, then upped it to 79. I will transfer to a keg today to let it bulk age for about a month, then I plan to bottle with maple syrup for consumption around Thanksgiving. The gravity sample was pretty hot; not too surprised about that, given the OG and ferm temp. There is a little spice and some esters present, which I'm hoping come to the forefront a little more once it has aged for a few months or so. Overall, I think I'm happy with how it has performed so far.

This was a 3.5 gallon batch. Recipe came from here.

Update: Just transferred to a keg (8 days post-pitching). FG is unchanged @ 1.006. Fusels observed on day 5 are all but gone. Chilled the gravity sample to 45°-ish and the clove spiciness from the yeast is more pronounced. Not getting much in terms of esters. The spices from the recipe are pretty much unperceivable, so I'll be adding more when I bottle in about 4 weeks. So far, so good.

I have used T-58 a few times and have found it be a pretty good yeast. On the plus side it's a strong yeast, easy to work with, and a good fermenter. On the downside I would say the flavor profile is good but not great. The times I've used it I've fermented in the mid 60s for the first week and let the temps rise. On my last beer, a Dubbel, I held it in the mid 60s for 2 weeks and the low 70s for 2 more weeks. I got 78% attenuation (O.G. 1.063, F.G. 1.013). The yeast gives a spicy profile (cloves, black pepper, all spice, etc.) which tends to skew more towards black pepper when left to bottle age.

I submitted my Dubbel to a homebrew competition and received a score of 35. One of the judges noted the ester profile was good but less complex than he would have liked. I pretty much agree with his assessment. For my next Belgian I'll be using a White Labs or Wyeast strain.

I've used it as a fresh pitch of yeast in a batch that had aged too long to carb up reliably. It worked really well in that capacity, especially since it's so cheap.

I used T-58 in an ale that I brewed like a pumpkin ale. I substituted Spaghetti Squash meat for the pumpkin. Spaghetti Squash has a peppery flavor and T-58 is supposed to also. I was looking to keep that flavor. It was VERY successful. I didn't take an FG reading so I can't comment on attenuation. I fermented in the mid sixties and kegged it.

I've used it many times and love it. It's very consistent. I get low-70's attenuation each time and i like that the flavor profile is more rounded and less intense than the WPL565 (although when i used the 565 i allowed the temperature to free-rise to a much higher ~85F).

Edit: Also, the highest OG I used the T58 for was 1.063 and had no issues.

If WLP565 is more intense than T58, I need to get me some 565. I've had some big almost saison pepper/spice/floral-y alcohol punch in the teeth from my T58 beers (3 different belgian beers and 1 cider with it, all expressed the big saison type flavors).

But, like you said you let it free rise. My experiences with T58 were all at high temps (bulk of fermentation was over 75F).

I used T-58 in a Black Saison that I modeled after Goose Island's Pepe Nero. I choose T-58 to give me the pepper notes instead of adding black peppercorns like Goose Island does. Turned out to be a great beer that had a nice pepper/spice flavor.

2 Gallon batch, One pack of T-58
Mashed at 149

OG 1.062
FG 1.013
6.4%

79% Apparent Attenuation

I fermented at 65 degrees for 9 days and then let the temperature rise to 70 when it looked like fermentation was complete.

I've used it in a Belgian Golden, Dubbel, and Saison.
Good yeast, and very nice flavor profile.

Only issue I've had with all three beers using this yeast is lack of head retention and lower carbonation than anticipated (I bottle condition). Perhaps it's the yeast, coincidence, or common issue among all three recipes.....but it happened to all three batches.

I think it's a great Belgian dry yeast strain.

I've used it once in a wheat beer; just bottled it 2 weeks ago. Pitched it cool, but the house was really hot that week so it fermented pretty warm. No off flavors; kind of spicy-banana-y, very appropriate for a wheat beer. And it flocculates well in the bottles when you refrigerate it. I'm going to try it again soon in a wit, and maybe a cider.

I did a Tripel that had too much banana (fermented around 72, I think). It was good in a Dubbel I did. I noticed I didn't get the same attenuation I do with other strains (maybe s-04 excepted). I didn't mind a maltier Dubbel, though.

Back