Safale S-04 (Y007)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nkacree

Reaction score
Made a NB spiced winter ale on Friday. OG was 1.047. Made a starter and pitched Safale S-04 dry yeast that night. Now its Monday and I haven't seen the "party" in my ferment lock I'm used to seeing from those happy little yeast...

Anyone know about this type of yeast and its flocc habits? Is it a much more chill strain?

I'm sure all is well, but I was curious if I might consider re-pitching...?

Thoughts?

There's no need to make starters for dry yeast. S-04 is one of my favorite yeasts. Have you checked the gravity? S-04 tends to work fast, so chances are, your beer is already fermenting. No way to know though, unless you take a reading.

Air-locks aren't an indication that anythings happening inside.

+1 on airlocks not being an accurate indication of fermentation.

Is there visible krausen in the fermenter? Have you taken a gravity reading today?

BTW S-04 is a well behaving yeast. It ferments quickly and flocculates better than any other yeast I've used.

I also love S04 and it usually show signs of activity in 8 to 12h, but once I got a package (within expiration date) that never started. I had to pitch a new one after 36h and it started after 8h.
So it is not impossible that your yeast was bad. just saying.
Like others said, take a gravity reading to confirm it is dead.

What was the temp of your wort when you pitched your yeast?

I've had sluggish starts with S04 when the wort was chilled to much.

So unless you did something really wrong I would say your probable OK and you just need to take a reading.

I also love S04 and it usually show signs of activity in 8 to 12h, but once I got a package (within expiration date) that never started. I had to pitch a new one after 36h and it started after 8h.
So it is not impossible that your yeast was bad. just saying.
Like others said, take a gravity reading to confirm it is dead.

I bet if you would have waited more than 36 hours, that S-04 would have started up fine. I wait 72 hours before I even think about pitching new yeast.

I bet if you would have waited more than 36 hours, that S-04 would have started up fine. I wait 72 hours before I even think about pitching new yeast.

When I use S-04 it starts very quickly, definitely within the range of 6-12 hours. I oxygenate with tank and stone and pitch around 68F. i usually pitch two packets. Since I have never seen S-04 take longer, I might be concerned at 36 hours.

EDit: I also ferment in glass carboys so it is easier to see fermentation.

I pitched some in cider I am brewing. I started it 9 days ago. The airlock never moved (this is a small 2 gallon batch). I finally looked in it this morning. looked like a Kreusen had formed at some point, smelled fermented and tasted alcoholic and not very sweet. Also almost seemed carbonated. I haven't taken a hydrometer reading, but will try tonight. I don't know whats up, but it seems to be fermented. Wierd. I am goint to rack it tomorrow to a secondary.

I pitched some in cider I am brewing. I started it 9 days ago. The airlock never moved (this is a small 2 gallon batch). I finally looked in it this morning. looked like a Kreusen had formed at some point, smelled fermented and tasted alcoholic and not very sweet. Also almost seemed carbonated. I haven't taken a hydrometer reading, but will try tonight. I don't know whats up, but it seems to be fermented. Wierd. I am goint to rack it tomorrow to a secondary.

A hydrometer reading is absolutely the only way you should gauge fermentation activity.

How do you know if you're ready to rack to a secondary tomorrow if you haven't taken a reading? Also, 10 days in primary is a little short. You might read up on skipping secondary all together and lengthening the stay in primary.

I really like S-04 as well. I have had fermentations finished in 3-4 days with this yeast without adding O2. It has usually taken off for me within 6 hrs.

When I use S-04 it starts very quickly, definitely within the range of 6-12 hours. I oxygenate with tank and stone and pitch around 68F. i usually pitch two packets. Since I have never seen S-04 take longer, I might be concerned at 36 hours.

EDit: I also ferment in glass carboys so it is easier to see fermentation.

Just because it normally works within 6-12 hours doesn't mean it's not being sluggish that one time. As you said...you oxygenate and cool to good pitching temps. You're giving your yeast the best enviornment they could hope for. If you didn't do those things, it would probably behave much differently. BUT...for ANY yeast, 36-72 hours is a good time frame for it to kick in. Three days isn't that big of a deal. Not ideal...but nothing that I'd worry about.

Yeast is a pretty tough thing to kill. Yes, it goes dormant. But, it can almost always be brought back to brewing standards with a little TLC.

Back