Safale S-04 (Once Again)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zeropanic

Reaction score
Hi All,

This has probably been done to death, but I'm looking at brewing a copper ale of about 8 - 9% ABV and was wondering if Safale S-04 is up to the job?

Basically, it will be a tiny 5 litre brew for this test and I happen to have some S-04 handy, so I will easily be able to pitch it large seeing as it's such a small batch.

What is everyone's opinion? S-04 or go for something else which will definitely cope well?

Cheers,

Amos

That's pretty good news then. I've no problem with keeping fermentation cool either. How vigorous do you reckon the first few days will be?

04 chews through sugar like a beast. It will ferment violently for the first few days.

Is it going to be better to use a blow-off tube rather than a standard airlock to begin with then? Or perhaps use a larger bin and having the benefit of a bigger head-space?

I would say get something with enough headspace and do the blow-off just to be sure. My latest batch went like a boar on crack.
Had 22l in a 30l carboy thinking I would be ok. Well I recon 35l would have not sufficed, maybe 40l would have been cool. That first 24h after lag time were brutal.

My experience after brewing 6 batches using Safale S-04 tells that always keep the fermentation temperature at about 60 F unless you're using roasted malts and grains .

Hector

I just brewed a Founders breakfast stout clone, but hit 1.120 on my starting gravity for just over 5 gallons and pitched 3 packets of s-04. Will S-04 be enough to get this fermented?, or will I need to add another yeast. What would be good if I do? Can S-04 exceed the 11% alcohol tolerance, or is it that where it just gives up? 85 gravity points for 11% from 1.120 would still be at 1.035 final gravity which is still above my target. Still weighing options, but can add another yeast to take it further if possible. This beer may be a little excessive.

Back