SAF 05

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

argodzilla

Reaction score
Second all grain batch had an OG of 1.054. Bbwesmith called for 1.1 packages of SAF 05.
I pitched a single packet last Friday. Friday night I had slow bubbling taking place. The blow off hit it's peak on Sunday. Activity slowed quickly after Tuesday and by Wednesday I wasn't seeing much airlock activity. I just took a refractometer reading and the reading has me concerned. 1.023. I was expecting 1.010 or so. Should I be looking to pitch a bit more SAF 05? Fermentation temp has been steadily held to 68. Thanks
Matt

Yeah, you can't use uncorrected refractometer readings once there's alcohol in solution. You need to use a calculator to adjust it.

The right side of my scale says SG Wort.

It has the scale built in.

Exactly the point. Wort is not beer. The refractometer measures sugar content by detecting the angle of light refraction through the sugar. The alcohol in finished beers interferes with the measurement. The correction factor compensates for the error caused by the alcohol.

Using the calculation it comes to 3.57%. Same as what I was getting using the SG Wort numbers in a traditional abv calculator... Maybe I missed something... won't be the last time.

Haha....I'm going to go watch a YouTube video. I don't think I'm smart enough to use that calculator.

Ok...5.8% . Thanks for sending me in the right direction. According to the calc...I have a current gravity of 1.007.

Ok...5.8% . Thanks for sending me in the right direction. According to the calc...I have a current gravity of 1.007.

It's not 100% accurate, without knowing your actual wort correction factor, so it's an estimate, but if you don't want to break out your hydrometer, it's good enough to know it's somewhere between 1.006 and 1.010, likely.

Latest posts

Back