SA-04 Wow!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snowtiger1987

Snowtiger
Reaction score
I brewed a 10 gallon batch of ESB Saturday (OG 1.056) and pitched 2 packets of hydrated SA-04 yeast about 9pm. Yesterday (Wednesday) I noticed the airlock activity had stopped so I check the gravity. It was finished (1.012) and starting to clear. Tasted malty with some marmalade-like fruitiness and restrained bitterness. I am very impressed. I plan to keg tonight and be drinking it by the weekend.

I did a chocolate stout and was also impressed by the speed of fermentation, one check of a krausen and done with majority of fermentation. Did observe with a strong flashlight there was still movement sneaky little beasties so waited another two weeks and bottled.

Started at 66 degrees and it ramped up to 72 during the height fermentation.

It’s not tart at all? Smell like yogurt?

I don’t mind S04 but I never let it get above 65 until diacetyl clean up. For me it gets really gnarly when it ferments warm.

No. It still has diacetyl though so I took it out of the keezer and am going to let it warm up for a few days in hopes to get rid of it.

Latest posts

Back