S05 behaving badly?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thisjrp4

Reaction score
I haven't brewed many beers with S05, but it always seems to behave the same for me with normal strength beers - slow fermentation with a small krausen. I have a normal strength brown ale fermenting now, and it blew the airlock off and krausen is running down the side of the fermenter. Is this normal? How should this yeast perform?

There are a gazillion things that factor into how your fermentation will go, so it's impossible to say something like "US-05 behaves like <blah blah>".

For example, I use that yeast for probably 90% of what I brew and I decided to drop the temp of my fermentation fridge by 3 degrees earlier this year. This resulted in my krausen turning into a 4 inch tall slimey/gooey looking mass instead of a 1 inch tall bubble-bath looking mass.

Same yeast, same recipe, 3 degree temp difference.

That's a pretty good description of the difference I can see. I don't have temp control, just whatever temperatures my basement provides, and it is cooler now so maybe that's it. Thanks!

Back