S-O5 Yeast ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RandalG

Reaction score
So I brewed a pumpkin ale that I've done several times in the past with no problems using S-05. It's been over 24 hours and very little activity in the fermenter. I rehydrated before pitching. Should I repitch another packet tomorrow or do you think it's too late. What do you guys think?

Not too late. But surely unnecessary. Sounds like you probably pitched at the correct temperature.

I agree with @cshamilton and @mongoose33 ... just wait.

Fill the airlock adequately with sanitizer. If it's too low, you won't see activity.

Over 24 hours doesn't mean anything. Even though most of my yeast takes off within 8 hours, if you don't give it the right environment, it can take as much as 4 or 5 days to get started. I'd say "wait at least 3 days before doing anything." Sometimes yeast can take a while to get started, especially if the wort wasn't properly aerated or you didn't pitch enough yeast, etc..

S05 has been sluggish to get going for me lately. I am not sure why, because this hasn't always been the case. It used to take off after 10h or so. But, the end result is still good.

Thanks for the replies. I'm used to using starters so they usually take off within 8 hours or so. I have a fermentation chamber so I pitched at 68 and held it there. This morning it's bubbling away with an inch of krausen so it's all good. I guess I over reacted a little.

I have used S-05 multiple times with great success. I had an English barley wine starting gravity 1.15 and it was down to 1.002 in 48 hours. However, I did use a yeast starter with over 1 trillion cell count in a 5 gallon batch. I imagine your beer has started to ferment by now even if only from your original pitch.

I have used S-05 multiple times with great success. I had an English barley wine starting gravity 1.15 and it was down to 1.002 in 48 hours. However, I did use a yeast starter with over 1 trillion cell count in a 5 gallon batch. I imagine your beer has started to ferment by now even if only from your original pitch.

Surely you mean down to 1.020 right?

Back