S-04 slow / stalled - got it going eventually!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

malt_shovel

Reaction score
While trawling through the search pages, I found various examples of people having short lag times and very active fermentation while using the S-04 (both dried and rehydrated) but I had a super slow start to mine. I eventually had to warm the wort up to above 70degF to get it started.

I pitched mine hydrated onto an APA (around 1055 SG) around 70degF and then moved it a couple of hours later to a fridge (ambient around 55 - 60 degF, internal wort temp always at or above the 59 lower limit stated by Fermentis) but didn't see (or measure via hydrometer) any active fermentation for 4 days. I was always within the recommended temp range (confirmed by stick-on thermometer and also dial thermometer immeresed in fluid when measuring SG), albeit right at the bottom, but still no luck.

This was an extract recipe with a Coopers Australian Pale LME ~ 3.75lb, 500gm (1lb) DME and some Cascade hops thrown in (plan to dry hop it once fermentation is done).

I got fed up last night and put it into a swamp cooler (around 70 deg) and it eventually showed a krausen and i am expecting a change in SG when I measure it in a few days time.

Anyways I'm not after any particular info/advice though feel free to reply, rather I thought it useful to add my experience for those that may sift through the search pages suffering a similar problem.

Cheers
:mug:

I overshot my volumes on Sunday brewing a Russian Imperial Stout. I racked 2 gallons into a 3 gallon carboy and pitched S-04. FWIW, I pitched 2 packets of S-05 in the 5 gallons. OG 1.085. Tuesday AM, the krausen had completely fallen in the 04. I moved it to a warmer spot and took a gravity reading as I was concerned that it had fallen after less than 48 hours. 1.024-or so. I hope it drops a few more points, but I was pretty surprised. The S-05 still had full krausen on top last night. Each ferment is different.

S-04 tends to lag on me when I over-cool my wort (below 65), and/or stick it directly into the fermenting freezer.

Back