S-04 pitching question...I know...I know....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gtibrews2

Reaction score
What's the best scenario as far as pitch temp. I was going to pitch around 70F.

Should I go any lower into the 60f range???

I don't want the banana flavor....

I'd get the wort to about 64-65 degrees, personally. Keep it in that range until the ferment starts to slow, then ramp it up into the 70's to get it to finish. Pitching at 70 and letting it run from there, it'll be an ester bomb.

It depends on how fast you get it to your fermentation temp. A couple of hrs at 70 no problem a couple of days at seventy could be tough drinking.:mug:

If you don't have a temp controller on your fermentation chamber where you can attach the temp probe to the side or in a thermowell, you may want to lower it a bit because the fermentation produces heat.

I've used it a number of times. W/O fermentation heat, my basement will keep the fermenter at 64 degrees; during fermentation it'll rise to 68/69 degrees. So I'd say you can expect a 5-degree rise from internal heat. I don't have any off-flavors (at least that I can detect) at these temps, so it's a workable range.

My experience with this yeast is that anything over 64 for the bulk of fermentation can be very estery. I'd hold there until fermentation is wrapping up, then start ramping to 68 for the yeast to finish up quickly.

I know this is Metric - but I'm sure you can convert.
I pitched 17.5 deg C, and will let it sit for 36 hours before raising 1.5 degrees, and another 48 hours it gets 21-22 deg C to finish out.
Works well.

Never heard SO4 could throw banana. We talking english ale(SO4) or hefe(WB06)?

I've not ramped up when using SO4, can you guys describe what kinda of esters you get when you do?

I've used this a few times for ZD clone. Fermented at 66F. Got a pretty clean profile at the end of it.

Yes, same here, pretty neutral into mid 60's. A little more yeast flavor than chico but nothing that really jumps out and is easy to identify.

Never heard SO4 could throw banana. We talking english ale(SO4) or hefe(WB06)?

I've not ramped up when using SO4, can you guys describe what kinda of esters you get when you do?

Definitely S04.
when temps go out of whack (Maybe a tad high) the yeast tends to throw some interestingbelgiany banana ness at you.

Theres a commericla brewery in this country, that use S04 in a belgian saison, by increasingthe temperature, while it doesnt sound greast, it works for them, although not the best beer in general. but hey, it shows that can work to some degree i guess.

Back